Noisy central heating and hot water please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Whenever i turn central heating on i get a lot of noise in the pipes, banging, clanging, knocking, tapping. Originally i thought was just expansion of pipes, but im not so sure as the noise is pretty constant and should stop when gets to temperature if expanding pipes no?

Two of the radiators need bleeding regularly but otherwise the radiators heat up fine...just noisy when doing so!

The noise is mostly inbetween floorboards between master bedroom and kitchen below (boiler is in kitchen).

I did make mistake of bleeding radiators while system was still running and that seemed to make noise worse (especially coming from boiler)...so ive been bleeding them correctly when system turned off which has made noise better...well, back to what it was like before.

I thought may be air in system, but starting to think more likely sludge in system (water coming out of radiator when bleeding pretty black). The boiler is 4 years old, only just moved into house so not sure how much was serviced...i think not at all.

When i turn on hot water also, there is the odd bang every 20 secs or so from the pipes...sounds a lot like pipes banging on floorboards.

House is 20 years old.

Im part of BG's homecare thing, i just know if i call them out they will reccommend powerfulsh...which may actually work if it is just sludge, but the system isnt that bad and i think just a normal flushing of system with some fernox would do...

Anybody any ideas what the problem is...sludge? air in system?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back