Noisy central heating system following draining and refillin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I'm having a problem with my central heating that I hope someone can help me with, please. I have checked the wiki and forum and cant find the answer, so please forgive me if i have missed it, but I'm pretty sure I havent.

In summary, I have replaced a radiator with a towel rail, and now my CH system is noisey - sounds like water gushing and bubbling, so I assume I have air in the system. More info:

I have a conventional CH system, with boiler in the kitchen, tank and pump in the airing cupboard and header tank in the loft (plus big cold water tank in loft). Heating is working in that the radiators get hot when they should, and domestic hot water works too, so we have hot water in all hot taps. I have recently removed the radiator from the bathroom and replaced with a towel rail. No problem draining the system down, removing the rad, and installing new towel rail. To test the new rad for leaks I filled the system with just water, then once happy all was dry, I drained out the water, cleaned the small amount of sludge out of the header tank (making sure not to push any into the pipe to the system), and slowly (only opened the isolation valve partially) refiled the header tank. When the header tank was about 1/3 full, I added half a bottle of inhibiter, and continued to slowly fill the header tank with water, before adding the remainder of the inhibiter bottle (bottle says suitable for up to 10 rads, we have 9). With CH & DHW still off, I bled the air out of the rads (and heard header refill). I also let the air out of the vent in the pipe above the pump. I then removed the big screw on the pump, and manually turned the impellor approx 10 times with a screwdriver.
I then turned the thermostat in the lounge up to 30 and turned on the CH and DHW. Lots of gushing and bubbling, but all rads and taps got hot. After a while I rebled the rads until each one squirted water.

However, I still have a gushing and bubbling noise in the system when both the DHW and CH are on, and when only the DHW is on. The noise appears to be most prominant in the area of the boiler and cylinder. I have just rebled the rads but only a very small amount of air had accumulated in the last week or so.

Any ideas if there is something I have neglected? Is there likley to be a vent or somewhere to bleed the boiler itself?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

It still has air in it. Somewhere in boiler return pipe.

There might be an air vent somewhere in airing cupboard, somewhere above pump and motorised valves.

What boiler is it?

I would give time and keep bleed air till it working quiet, make sure the header tank is full of water.

Dan.

Do you have any thumb vents or automatic air valves on the cylinder you can use to vent the air?

Sponsored Links
Hi Stardanny and Mark BR - thanks for your replies. In the airing cupboard I have two vents that I can see, one above the CH/DHW valve and one above the pump.

2011-11-22204935.jpg

I have just rebled these and only a tiny bit of air came out of the one above the pump before water came out.

The boiler is a Gloworm Ultimate which I guess was probably put in by the builders when the house was built in 1993.
I just noticed a valve of some sort above the boiler in the kitchen, opposite the drain. Any ideas what this is for? Could it be the answer to my air in the pipes?

2011-11-22205025.jpg

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back