Refilling heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I have a Baxi Bermuda LFE3 serving five radiators and providing DHW. I've had it drained down for months now, and to achieve that I just secured the ball cocks in the two header tanks and then 1) ran a hot tap and 2) drained water from a valve next to a downstairs radiator.

I want to get DHW going again soon so will look at refilling the system. I don't anticipate any problems with the boiler itself and it all seemed to work ok on the few occasions I did use it last year.

Just to clarifiy, do I need to refill the CH circuit to get DHW? I believe the answer is yes, but I need to check that.

I'll be adding a cleaning product to the CH header tank this time and will then drain again after a while and refill with an inhibitor. Unless someone suggests that the cleaner is a bad idea in old systems? I've hosed out the radiators, FWIW.

Anyway, do I simply have to check all the rads and connected (or isolated) and then let water back into both header tanks, bleed the rads and then fire up the boiler? Am I missing some vital step? Does the boiler and DHW circuit need to be bled somehow, as well?

I've read about it and does seem straightforward but I'm not really certain.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Yes, fill system to use hw.

Slide lever on motorised valve(s) across and latch in that position.

Make sure drain off is closed and all rad valves are open.

Allow system to fill completely.

Bleed rads and pump by unscrewing large screw in centre a couple of turns. Tighten it when a dribble of water starts coming out.

Un-latch valves(s).

Turn on heating/hw.

Slide lever on motorised valve(s) across and latch in that position.

Un-latch valves(s).

I don't know what this refers to, where can I find the motorised valves? The only electrical part I'm aware of is a pump near the back boiler.

Sponsored Links
In any case, I refilled the header tanks - unfortunately there's a slow leak around the bottom of the CH one, seems like the seal around the "out" hole isn't really doing the trick any more.

Do you reckon if I drain it off I could just go nuts with sealant and see if that does the trick? Otherwise I think it's a new tank because the tank adapter is pretty well corroded into place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back