Noisy Cold water tank ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

When my cold water tank (in loft) fills up via the ball valve, it makes a loud noise, sounds like a ship coming into port, which travels down the pipe and can be heard from the airing cupboard.

Would replacing the ball valve stop this noise, if so are there any special types around to address this problem?

Has anyone had this problem before, if so is there another way to sort this out without buying a new valve?

Sponsored Links
Replace ball valve with a Part 2 valve and float. Old one is probably worn ;)

Yer that what I thought thanks

I was thinking, Do you think its possible that the valve outlet is below the water level and the noise is caused by siphonage, which would explain the noise traveling down the pipe! If so simply adjusting the float position would fix the problem, I will have to have a look.

If the tank is installed correctly then the overflow outlet should be below the ball valve connection so this shouldn't happen.

Sponsored Links
Just been for a look, as you said the overflow is below the inlet (so that blows my theory)

After seeing the valve working, I't seams to spit the water out opposed to a steadly flow. Theres is also evidence of limescale build up. The valve has been connected using a flexible pipe to the old stop cock.

I'm hoping just a valve change will solve the problem, what do you think?

richard_1234 said:
I'm hoping just a valve change will solve the problem, what do you think?

gas4you said:
Replace ball valve with a Part 2 valve and float. Old one is probably worn ;)

Wasn't that an answer?

richard_1234 said:
Hi,

When my cold water tank (in loft) fills up via the ball valve, it makes a loud noise, sounds like a ship coming into port, this out without buying a new valve?
what, like a bunch of loose women , on the quay @ Pompey :eek: ..........low moaning noise =hor-mones ;) :LOL:

I'm having the same problem as Richard. The pin on the valve seems to stick causing the un-godly moaning noise. Neighbours are now on my case!

Question, as I don't have an isolation valve near the cold water tank, will I have to turn the mains water off before removing the old unit? and do I need to drain the old tank.

Any tips on problems to look out for?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

I've been very happy with Torbeck valves with the flat hose and fitted with a flow restrictor.

But thats for a toilet, isn't it?
Maybe. I fitted one to the cold tank in our last house and it was fine for the 12 years we were there and practically silent. The cold tank was in a loft conversion and the old ball valve was really noisy.

Mind you, I just fitted a Torbeck Adjustable Compact Valve and it's much noisier.
37311.jpg

ajrobb";p="1730520 said:
But thats for a toilet, isn't it?
Maybe. I fitted one to the cold tank in our last house and it was fine for the 12 years we were there and practically silent. The cold tank was in a loft conversion and the old ball valve was really noisy.

Mind you, I just fitted a Torbeck Adjustable Compact Valve and it's much noisier.

Torbecks are the source of more problems than I can remember, I'd never fit another one. Fluidmaster are much less hassle.

Any valve you fit has to comply with BS1212 part 2,3 or 4.

do i have turn off the mains feed before fitting a new float valve? Soz v new at this
A plumber might do it live, but if you're new, forget it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back