noisy double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i had upvc windows fitted around 2 years ago. problem is the outside noise has really started to bother me. when sleeping i can hear people talking outside, the sound of car tyres, even footsteps from people walking.

what can be done about this?
i have trickle vents fitted, but i leave them closed. i have trims around the windows and i have checked this and they appear to look sealed. from outside i know one area could do with resealing along one edge with silicone...

please let me know my options... also 1 or 2 windows around the house feel cold like a very little draught is coming through around the trim area

Sponsored Links
Damb trickle vents :rolleyes:

1st thing I would do is prise off one of the trims and see if they have used expanding foam around the windows.

If it was done by one of the big national company's or any company that pays their fitters by the window I expect they wont have as they don't want to wait while it gos off.

As Gazman says, could be trickle vents but more than likely its going to be voids behind the trims, excessive amount of trims probably meant poor measuring which in turn means gaps, prize the trims off carefully - some use superglue others silicone them on, foam up and wait for the difference

If I take trims of from inside my room and fill in any gaps, does that mean I need to take trim of from outside the house also and fill there to. Or sill just filling on the inside from the room suffice?

Should I fill treacle vents to with silicone or something to?

Sponsored Links
The trims are probably covering a gap that goes right through so its your choice whichever side you take off, whichever is easier really

Tricky vents are there for a reason but if your dead set on losing them then I suggest unscrewing the inner flap and stuff some cotton wool in the hole, easily removable again if you move house

The trickle vents allow air to come into the house for ventilation, and probably don't let much sound through.
You can get acoustic vents, which are expensive.
its most likely the actual double glazed units that are letting the sound through mostly (as they have the greatest surface area on any part of the window).
Some new units, say 4mm in, and 6.4mm laminate out would make a big difference on sound reduction!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back