Noisy Glow Worm Ultimate Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glow Worm Ultimate boiler about 8 years old on an older system. About a year ago it started banging, I guess it has sludge in it. I put in a Fernox cleaner and left it about a week then drained, flushed and refilled. The banging reduced but has now returned. A building control friend of mine has said a plumber told him to pour half a cup of washing up liquid into the header tank. He did and apparently the noise stopped. Can anybody tell me if this is sound advice? How would a heating engineer normally deal with this if it isn't a good idea?
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Washing up liquid corrodes your system! Corrosion inhibitors like Sentinel x100 and Fernox MB-1 have wetting agents in them.

Deary me washing up liquid? If that doesn't work why not try Ajax?

Seriously have your system checked by an engineer for pipe configurations, mainly cold feed and open vent config in conjunction with your pump, check inhibitor levels, test water, check f/e tank, check boiler.

A good engineer will suss any fault that causes the banging.

What kind of banging is it? Where is it noisest? Does it continue or stop for periods of time?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all those useful comments. Point taken about washing up liquid!! Gas2Air asks about the noise. It is definitely in the boiler and seems to coincide with the burner being on for a while and the water getting hot. It goes away for short periods but returns when the burner re-ignites. I had it serviced about a year ago but the noise wasn't too prominent then. Interestingly, when I cleaned and flushed the water came out fairly clean.
Thanks again folks.

Thanks kevplumb. Can you recommend a good de-scaler?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back