Noisy Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year ago I started a light kitchen renovation, which became a full floorboard up rebuild....

My partywall had kitchen cabinets on the floor and wall, with ceramic tiling in the middle. This was removed, and as i was no longer having tiles, i decided to re-plaster the wall.

I thought it would be a good idea to use plasterboards and dot and dab them to the wall, I also took the opportunity to use soundboards ( the blue ones in B&Q ) ..

The problem is that i seem to have a lot of noise coming through the wall, i do hear noise in other rooms, but didnt previously have such a problem in the kitchen.

The floor insulation is improved , the low level cupboards are better quality, the only real difference is the lack of tiles and wall cupboards ( i just have one now ) , and the soundboard.

The noises are echoey, so to me its as though the sound is amplified by the void between the plasterboard and masonry.

Rather than resorting to tiling the wall ( which i do not think would solve the echoey problem ) , is there anything i can do without removing my cabinets... i was thinking is there some sort of foam spray that i could drill little holes in the plasterboard and fill the void ( like waxoiling a car ! ) ?

Any ideas are appreciated .

Sponsored Links
good idea to use plasterboards and dot and dab them to the wall,

the sound is amplified by the void between the plasterboard and masonry.

Find this difficult to understand. Are you saying there is a large space ( that's what a void is ) between pb and wall ? If so, how did you achieve that ?

Or are you talking about a few mm ?

Or are you talking about a few mm ?[/quote said:
Well they were good dollops of fixing and the existing wall was fairly uneven, so yes mm but possibly up to a cm .

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Well you could buy a can of expanding foam for a few quid and inject it through a numer of holes drilled in the pb.

This would have the effect of filling some of the space and possibly also sticking the pb to the wall which should dampen any vibration that is taking place if this is the case. If you do this spray water into the hole first to help the foam stick. Also do not pump large amounts through a single hole as the foam continues to expand significantly and you might possibly break the dot and dab bond.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back