Noisy New Baxi Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hope someone can share some pearls of wisdom with this noisy boiler issue I have.

I had a complete new central heating system installed a few months ago (replacing an ancient warm air system) the boiler is BAXI DuoTec 28 GA (mk2 I believe) boiler system, timber frame house.

When the boiler starts up it is LOUD, it loud enough to wake me up in the AM but does get quieter as it settles down but still not happy with it. Its now something that I need to sort out for my own sanity!

The boiler is located an airing cupboard in the middle of the house (first floor) with the flue going up into the attic to the outside wall. The boiler is just fitted against the plasterboard and it does vibrate/resonate a lot when it starts up and then drops to an audible hum, still annoying.

The installer advises that this is normal and nothing to worry about but I am not convinced. My Dads new Worcester is almost silent when it runs so is this just the way a BAXI is?

As its under warranty I am probably going to get BAXI to check it out.

If there is nothing wrong with the boiler then I need to investigate soundproofing as moving into the loft is a bit expensive. I am looking to fit the boiler onto a special MDF backboard (0 fire rating) backing and then box it in (allow for min clearances) with special MDF soundproof boards , so its not gonna be a cheap fix. I’ve also heard about anti vibration mounts? Any ideas or thoughts in general on this?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

cheers

Sponsored Links
I am guessing that its the boiler starting on CH that is bothering you because it starts on full power for the first few minutes.

Of course it does not have to if only the installer had set the boiler max output to match the radiator output. But then nupty installers dont bother with doing that!

You chose your installers!

The design of Worcester boilers is rather quieter than some other makes but not much difference.

You do seem seriously over sensitive to common noises around you. How about listening to the radio in the mornings?

Tony

cheers for thoughts

interesting point on the max output , yep it really does "take off" and heat up the house very quickly which is great but at a cost of the noise

interesting..is it possible to reset so that the boiler max output and radiator out match?

:D radio good call.but at 6am i need my beauty sleepy

yeah very noise sensitive!

Could be a combustion related issue , was this carrieid out at install?

Sponsored Links
I was called to a fairly new premix baxi/Pott boiler with the same complaint but the tenant had other issues.

She kept the heating on 24/7 and wanted the flat at 30 C.

No, not Nigerian but American!

Still waiting for the landlord to pay me for my visit!

These GA boilers run as quietly as any other, with the front cover fitted securely. I've got a neta-tec GA 33, and it's very quiet. They have decent modulation, and won't ramp up immediately in CH, until they've run for 30 s or so to get a representative return temp. Your pipes/wall fabric and studwork should be checked as adequately secured and stable before calling on the warranty. They will charge you for a call out if your installer hasn't done this properly. :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back