noisy pump/water flow thru radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi Solo 3 70 pf boiler in the garage.

There is a tank in the airing cupboard with a pump. The pump seems quite noisy and there is always a loud water flowing noise in the radiators.

Not sure if the noise from the pump is being carried around the system or what? But it is noisy, to add to this there is pretty much a constant tapping noise from the the pipes in the ceiling, even when the system is on and has warmed up. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you vented the system? Does it have a chemical corrosion inhibitor in it?

no i have not vented the system and there is no inhibitor in it. is this what i need to do? if so how do i go about doing it? is it expensive? thanks for your reply.

Basically, to vent:

1. Turn the system off.
2. Open all rad valves.
3. Manually open all MZVs.
4. Vent at each rad.
5. Check that the F&E cistern is up to the expected level.
6. Turn on the system.

For more detail do a search on "venting", and for instructions on draining have a look at How to manually flush a heating system with mains water.

Sponsored Links
5. Check that the F&E cistern is full
Would not recommend this as it will encourage over pumping. You water level in the F&E tank should be just above the feed pipe.

bathjobby said:
Would not recommend this as it will encourage over pumping. You water level in the F&E tank should be just above the feed pipe.
hayho - please note that I've edited my post to be less ambiguous.

bathjobby - are you being serious, or just pedantic? I'm struggling to believe that you think I meant 'full to brimming', and I'm curious to hear how an extra four inches of head of water would encourage "over pumping". Please enlighten me.

bathjobby said:
hayho - please note that I've edited my post to be less ambiguous.

bathjobby - are you being serious, or just pedantic? I'm struggling to believe that you think I meant 'full to brimming', and I'm curious to hear how an extra four inches of head of water would encourage "over pumping". Please enlighten me.
hit the pump with a hammer

Hit you with a hammer, more like.

If you'd waited another week, this topic would have been three full years stale. :rolleyes:

No sirree! I don't think I was in 2005 either - probably just sick of eating and watching TV.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back