Brand new CH water pump so noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Recently had a new WILO Gold RS50 water pump installed by registered fitter. The pump makes a loud gurgling sound when running, sounds like air and water being stirred up. Have bled the radiators and the bleed screw on the pump several times. Also a small vent at top of pipe on join between pump and tank. Only a small amount of air coming out of 2 upstairs radiators but pump still noisy. The noise reverberates around the house and is quite intrusive. Called the fitter out again to look at it but he says it is just system noise and we have to live with it. He has already power flushed the boiler and fitted a filter to catch any debris in the system. He says the only thing left to do is power flush the whole system (at a cost of £400) and says there is no guarantee of it getting rid of the noise. Read several forums where the answer is replace an old pump but this one is brand new! Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Why type of system do you have? Why did he replace the pump? What pump was in there before? If your unhappy, get a second person in to give a another opinion. But I would answer above first to give us more details

Hi ukrobj

It is a Glowworm 18hxi system. While flushing the boiler he replaced pump at same time because the bearings were going and it was noisy (different type of noise from the new one). I don't know what type of pump was there before but he said this was the equivalent/most appropriate for the system.

I think you are right I maybe need a second opinion.

Thanks

gut feeling is their is still air as you say, turning off all but one rad and try that, force the air on a less of a circuit. Give that a try, also bleed from the front of the pump (use a rag to catch water).

Good engineer will be about to deal with it no problem.

Does the system heat up ok? Also hot water from cylinder ok?

Sponsored Links
Yes system works fine both heating and hot water just a noisy pump. Have been turning the big screw head in front of pump as part of venting process. Will try your idea of shutting off all the rads but one and see if that helps bleed out the air.
thanks

Only a small amount of air coming out of 2 upstairs radiators
after the small amount of air comes out, do you get water or nothing coming out?

Hi Mick, yes water comes out after the air, and the water is clean. rgds

has it been put in pumpin the correct way

The Pump MAY be installed thr wrong way round, the system could still work like that, but depending on the position of the open vent on the system, it could pull in air! ;)

Hi

Following advice on this forum and others I have continued to bleed the rads which are still getting trapped air. Now about 3 weeks and no sign that it is improving. Is it possible that air is getting in somewhere and I am just wasting my time? I switch the system off before I bleed the air from it.

regards
Hugh

have you tried turning the pump speed down, if the system was badly designed, then as described earlier in the thread, it may be more powerful of a pump you had before and is sucking air into the system.

If its set on the red dial to 3, try turning it down to 1.

have you tried turning the pump speed down, if the system was badly designed, then as described earlier in the thread, it may be more powerful of a pump you had before and is sucking air into the system.

If its set on the red dial to 3, try turning it down to 1.

His advice was that it should be on No 2 (of 3 settings). However tried them all and it makes varying degrees of noise on all of them.
regrds
Hugh

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back