gas boiler noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
suffering from noisy boiler (baxi solo 2 40pf), the noise is similar to a toilet cistern, noise travels through the radiators, ive bleed the system so pretty sure it isnt air, now tempted to half drain the system and add some discaler, any views or ideas??
cheers. Duggie

Sponsored Links
Yep, checked pump, the noise is definitely coming from the boiler, noise is like a hissing sound, if i increase the pump speed the noise is quieter but still present.

Sound as the boiler may be ketteling due to an internal flow restriction. Is the system water showing any sign of discoloration. I dont think a full cleansing ie Descale,complete flush and then inhibitor would go a miss.

Sponsored Links
checked water in the tank (loft) seems to be brownish colour with what can only be descibed as a scum on top, this weekend l'll drain it down and descale and add a cleaning agent, i only cleaned it out last yr when i changed the radiator in the bathroom. The boiler is about 12yr old so maybe the insides could do with a descale?

It certainly sounds like kettling!

You should at the minimum drain all the old water out and then use descaling chemicals.

Depending on how bad it is then you may or may not be able to resolve the problem.

Tony

Cheers Tony,
anyone recommend a good descaling product?
Has anyone removed the boiler water jacket and carried out a concentrated clean just on the jacket?
Duggie

If you really want to go to all that bother AND you are competent to work with gas then you can clean it very well with HCl but again only if you are competent to work with dangerous chemicals.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back