Noisy plumbing

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by susan999, 8 Nov 2021.

1. susan999

susan999

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    I have a flat with a shower pump connected next to the hot water cylinder which serves to increase both hot and cold water pressure.

Intermittantly, I'd been experiencing some noise with a quick frequency- it sounded as if it came from the cupboard with the pump in - a kind of judder - followed by a loud bang that occurred just as the toilet cistern filling valve shut down. I assumed the judder must have been something to do with erratic operation of the 20 yr old pump and the bang a consequence of the pump switching off, so I called a plumber in to fit a new one. This one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-t...al-regenerative-twin-shower-pump-2-0bar/95061

One day later, the noise happened again.

Could it be a consequence of the pressure being too high?

Any ideas?

2. HERTS P&D

HERTS P&D

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It may just be the washer in the cold water storage tank above the cylinder.

Andy

3. Sponsored Links
  4. susan999

susan999

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply Andy,

I spend £500 on a pump and the fault could be a washer? Could you talk me through the physics of that please?

I get that the fill valve itself may become faulty and cause a noise when in operation but the washer sealing the fill valve to the incoming pipework?

5. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sounds like loose pipework and the valve into the toilet is causing water hammer and the pipe's are banging.

6. Sponsored Links