Noisy plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have a flat with a shower pump connected next to the hot water cylinder which serves to increase both hot and cold water pressure.

Intermittantly, I'd been experiencing some noise with a quick frequency- it sounded as if it came from the cupboard with the pump in - a kind of judder - followed by a loud bang that occurred just as the toilet cistern filling valve shut down. I assumed the judder must have been something to do with erratic operation of the 20 yr old pump and the bang a consequence of the pump switching off, so I called a plumber in to fit a new one. This one.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stuart-t...al-regenerative-twin-shower-pump-2-0bar/95061

One day later, the noise happened again.

Could it be a consequence of the pressure being too high?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply Andy,

I spend £500 on a pump and the fault could be a washer? Could you talk me through the physics of that please?

I get that the fill valve itself may become faulty and cause a noise when in operation but the washer sealing the fill valve to the incoming pipework?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like loose pipework and the valve into the toilet is causing water hammer and the pipe's are banging.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back