Noisy Puma 80e that sometimes cuts out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a potterton Puma 80e combi that sometime ago started to make lots of banging noises when I closed one of the connected taps when trying to stop a dripping spigot tap for a washing machine connection. I got a plumber in who solved the immediate problem but stated that the boiler needed replacing at a cost of around £1400; an offer I didn't take him up on.

Now the boiler seems to make a lot more "background" noise than before and occassionally when putting the boiler on constant for CH it switches off - a way to re-ignite it is to start running the hot water tap.

Does what the plumber say make sense and is that a fair price for Watford, Herts (I don't think so) If it doesn't make sense, what should I be looking for.

Thanks,
Craig

Sponsored Links
putting the boiler on constant for CH it switches off <<

immediately or eventually?

The boiler needs descaling. For £1400 you'd want a system clean - takes all day and costs about £300. I'd do that first , which would clean the boiler pretty well, and go from there. Then a new boiler wouldn't need the system cleaning.. £1400 would be a typical price this time of year. Though there's always someone cheap. To some extrnt you get what you pay for. Get 3 quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back