noisy pump (constant running??!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everybody,

I have a Baxi Solo 2 50PF central heating boiler, and a wilko gold 50 pump. Everything works fine, central heating and/or water comes on and goes off as per the timer program, cuts out ok as per the thermostat on the tank. But........the pump runs constantly, is this normal? I can't imagine so? It's got increacingly louder reciently, I did have the system drained down to fit a new rad about a month ago, and this is when i first noticed it. The system bled up ok, there is no air coming out of the bleeders.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the circuit board has failed as the pump over-run should normally operate for 8 minutes after boiler shut-down.

Is that the circuit board in the boiler, or the box bolted to the wall (very technical I know!!) The pump has wires runing to both. Had a new circuit board fitted to the boiler about 18mths ago so be gutted if it's that...... Any handy way of testing these things?

PCB on boiler. If you're comfortable with electrics remove pump live from terminal on boiler, if pump stops then will be pcb

Sponsored Links
paddy2 said:
Any handy way of testing these things?

See if the boiler is controlling the pump as it should be .... or not!

Disconnect (pull of) the pump wiring terminal at the boiler and see if pump stops. This operates at 230v so isolate whilst carrying out work.

If pump stops the pcb timer is not operating and will require replacing prt No.
231711bax .

The pump has wires runing to both.

As has been said, the pump should be wired only to the boiler wiring panel. Don't know why you have a wire going from the pump to the "box on the wall"?

giblets said:
The pump has wires runing to both.

As has been said, the pump should be wired only to the boiler wiring panel. Don't know why you have a wire going from the pump to the "box on the wall"?

could be that the installer used it to connect to wiring going to boiler he may have use 6 core to the boiler giblets?

Hi everyone

I have the same problem with the running pump always running regardless. Further to previous posts I assume its the PCB which I will change. My only other question is: Should the S/L signal to the boiler start sequence be a 230V supply as I have a reading of 110V at first then 230 after 3 or 4 seconds. It maybe that I have a neutral fault which I will have to look into. Has Anyone had this problem???

Many thanks for anyones help.

Rob

Should have started a new thread really, but I would check your motorised valve first in the line of being the culprit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back