Noisy pump no water in CH

D

dan26

That pump is the same as mine and it sounds like its killing itself well despite plumber been out replacing valves etc its got worse now the whole system is empty no water anywhere which i thought was wierd. Checked water valves and they are all open. A complete pain well here is photo's of my pump..... you tell me sack the plumber or not?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like you have two problems:

there is orange rust in the pump which means you have oxygenated water in the system, causing the radiators and other steel parts to rust. The anti-corrosion chemical has obviously been washed out. This is probably because you have got a long-term leak which has not received attention and the system has been filling itself up with fresh water from the feed & expansion tank (assuming you have one). You might have noticed this because the radiators will have been filling up with gas and rusty water and needing to be bled frequently.

The second problem is that you say there is no water in the system. In this case it has probably all escaped through the leak, and the feed & expansion pipe has eventually become blocked with a combination of limescale and corrosion products. By now it will be quite difficult to get the blockage out. Chemical cleaners will not work as they can't circulate through a blocked pipe.

Most likely the blockage is at the bottom of the F&E pipe where it joins onto the larger circulating pipes, and you will have to cut it out and join in new. You will then have to find and repair the leak an at the least give it a thorough chemical clean. If the radiators are too rusty they will have to be replaced. If the boiler is rusty it will be difficult to clear. If the pipes are badly blocked they may need to be replaced :cry:

Looking on the bright side, the pump is very unlikely to be the cause of any of these problems. However it may be choked with rust and the bearings may now be seized.
Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back