Noisy Pump!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:( Can any one help! I have a really noisy pump - well not me personally, my central heating has! It is making a gurgling noise and now it is making a sound like a tap has been left on slightly. A plumber friend came and had a look at it and said that there was nothing wrong with the pump other than normal wear & tear, and it is since he had a look at it that the tap running sound has started. I have to have it on the lowest flow rate otherwise it is so loud that it wakes you up in the morning. iN addition one of the radiators constantly needs bleeding. I asked the plumber if the feeder tank needed checking and topping up, but he thought not. Any ideas? The boiler is a normal convectional - not a combi and is an Instal? or Istal, it was replaced 2 years ago as was the pump! Please help

Sponsored Links
Plumber FRIEND? He really should have given a definite answer about the tank, based on what he saw in it.

On the end of the pump away from the pipes, there's a large screw, have you bled the air from the pump? If not undo this screw and see if air comes out.

Next open a drain cock and let a few pints of water out and check the tank fills again. If it doesn't, there is a blockage in the feed pipe from the tank.

Have you got corrosion inhibitor in your system? If not put some in.

Pumps should be very difficult to hear, and wear and tear can be from corrosion debris wearing the pump out.

Thanks for your help. I have been in the attic over the weekend to check that the system was full and that there was nothing restricting the water flow into the system - all ok. The water looked a bit brown but at least it was clear! The system was cleaned out 2 years ago when I had the pump and boiler replaced - I was told by that plumber that he had put in something to keep it clean as the system is about 30+ years old. Would this last for 2 years? The pump is still noisy! You mention a screw on the pump - this is the only thing I have not tried and is next on my list when I get the courage to do it! I assume the system should be switched off as when bleeding radiators?

Sponsored Links
Sorry I missed your post. The pump is best switched off for bleeding, and it's not a dramatic exercise, just some rag or a container under the pump and undo the screw. Even with it taken out, the water only dribbles.

The cleaner in the system, which you probably had put in 2 years ago needs the system draining really to remove any debris, and refilling and adding corrosion inhibitor. This needs replenishing every 2 to 3 years.

The noise from the pump might be the debris from the system in the pump, so it would be worth draining and flushing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back