Noisy pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm gas boiler around a year old.

Not sure what type of system I have -probably irrelevant.

2 days ago the pump (Grundfos UPS 15-50 on speed 3) started making a noise rather like something inside was catching on another part - or like an old car engine where the tappets are noisy.

Yesterday the boiler stopped but we have managed to start it again - using the helpdesk nutmeg - switching it off and then on again.

Bled a radiator which released a load of air and the pump was OK for a few hours, then started again.

I suspect we need a new pump but am a complete novice. I will call a plumber but could do with some general guidance so I don;t get ripped off I don't know of any reputable plumbers.

Sponsored Links
Duplicate post due to this site getting more unreliable every day.

Have you got enough bandwidth to it admin?

Is this a system boiler with the pump built in it? if so call them out under warranty.

If it is seperate then may just need the pump head removed and could be a bit of swarf in it catching. If not new pump needed.

Thanks Dave,

The pump is separate and probably quite old - the previous boiler was older than Joan Collins.

Confirmation, it seems, of my suspicion that a new pump is required.

Sponsored Links
if you bleed the highest radiator in the house, does water squirt out vigorously? What colour is the water?

How high is the pump compared to the highest radiator?

the pump is on the same level as the highest radiator (all upstairs) which doesn't spurt vigorously.

Some radiators have black water, some perfectly clear.

The highest radiators are clear (from memory).

Plumber is booked for tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back