Noisy Radiators After Draining and Refilling the System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a loss of pressure I had to replace the Schroeder Valve on the C.H pressure vessel. In the process I drained and refilled the system and topped up with inhibitor. I bled all the radiators and the pump.
Since then the radiators have been pretty noisy when the boiler switches on in the morning. It has a sound like there is considerable air in the system. The noise dies down to nil within about 3-4 minutes of the boiler coming on.
I have went round all the radiators and re-bled them twice, despite the fact that only water comes out. There is no air from any of the radiators.
The system holds pressure without any fluctuation at 1.9 bar when hot and about 1.6 when cold.
I checked the potable expansion tank and it is fine at 3.5 bar.
All the radiators heat uni-formally to a high temperature there are no cold spots.
I live in a soft water area so there is no problem with scale.
When I drained the system the water was quite clean, because I have always topped up with inhibitor when the system has been drained.
There is no water bypassing the pressure relief valve.
The pump has always been at setting 2 out of 1-3 for speed.
Prior to changing the Schroeder valve the system was quiet at start up. Nothing else has been altered other than a new Schroeder valve and re-pressurising the red C.H. expansion tank.
I do hear a constant dripping within the Premier Tribune hot water storage tank whilst the system is on. It stops 100% when I switch the whole system off. This constant dripping may be the norm and I have just become aware of it.
I have pretty well run out of ideas so would appreciate some diagnostic input.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you get the noise if the HW comes on without the CH?
Have you bled the pump?

Sponsored Links
Do you get the noise if the HW comes on without the CH?
Have you bled the pump?

The noise is only there first thing in the morning when the system is timed to come on, after being off for about 7 hours. This includes HW & CH. If I switch the whole system off for about 3 hours during the day, there is no noise when it is manually turned on again.

I don't think that only HW on causes noise.

Yes I bled the pump twice just to make sure. No obvious air, just water.

The system makes no noise at all during the day when it is heating the HW or maintaining CH temperature.

As an experiment, tonight I have turned down the manual thermostatic control on the boiler from a max 6 to 5, but it was set at 6 previously with no problem.

The boiler is an Ideal Classic FF250.

Having read through some other threads, could the problem be kettling?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back