Noisy System & Radiators Instead Of Water!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 problems with my CH system.

Firstly when the hot water is turned on there is an awful lot of noise from the pipes. This sounds like a river rushing through the house. I can also hear the pump through the pipes. When I turn the pump down the noise is reduced but is still too noisy. This only happens when the water is being heated and not when the heating is on.

The 2nd problem I have is.

I have a towel rail in the bathroom that is connected to the hot water system. The top of the towel rail was never getting warm, only the bottom so I had to bleed the rail on a daily basis. Assuming there was a blockage in the towel rail and to create more warmth I replaced the rail with a small double radiator. However now the new radiator will not get particuarly warm and I find myself having to bleed the radiator and there always seems to be lots of air within.

After having the new radiator installed yesterday I noticed that most of the radiators were becoming red hot when the water was turned on!!! (The heating thermostat was turned right down). The plumber had turned the pump to maximum and I wonder if this may be causing the noise and also the radiators to heat up when the water is turned on.

Please can someone give me some advice on any or all of the problems. Could it be that one problem is causing all of these symptoms???

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Could be that the ch zone valve is stuck open letting the rads heat whilst dhw is on.

The noise problem sounds like air in the system. Check there is water in your small header tank and if so then check for a blockage in the cold feed where it T's into the heating pipe work.

Could also be that the pipe work, vent and cold fill, configuration is wrong and the pump is sucking in air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back