Noisy toilet valve - is it the diaphragm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The flush works fine and there is no leaking but after refilling there is usually (75% of the time) a terrible juddering noise from the valve which causes vibrations throughout the pipes. A plumber replaced the diaphragm six months ago and for a couple of months it was ok. Should I just replace the diaphragm again or get a new valve such as the Fluidmaster Bottom Entry Fill Valve? Is it easy for a DIYer to do? This is a new-build flat on the 11th floor.
Picture of valve:

Sponsored Links
You turn off the water supply to it grip the body and undo the large fluted ring. change the diaphragm, put it back together tight, re-establish water supply and test.

If it leaks turn off water and have another go.

If it continues to leak obtain a new bottom entry valve.

If it continues to leak call a plumber and flush what you do with a bucket of water while you wait.

Thanks very much, I'll start by replacing the diaphragm. Do you know if it's common for them to 'fail' like this after only a few months?

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, I'll start by replacing the diaphragm. Do you know if it's common for them to 'fail' like this after only a few months?

When i used to get plumbing call outs they were commonly around toilet issues and upstairs showers causing floods below.

Then about 3 years ago the phone stopped ringing as hundreds of people joined out trade.

Of course you can never get a plumber. That is to say if after your cooker has been delivered you can't get one to drop everything he's doing and come and fit it that afternoon. Now fortunately there are so many sat at home waiting for the phone to ring you wil get one at that short notice.

Try a Torbeck type float valve. Will be a much quieter operation and more reliable as your not solely relying on a rubber washer to seal but also the water pressure at that level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back