noisy/vibrating hot water tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hot water tap in the basin has suddenly started vibrating when you turn it on. The taps are less than 6 months old and I have checked the washer which is fine. After about half a turn the tap seems to give a bit and then this vibrating/shuddering sound starts - if I then open the tap fully it stops. Also, if I run the hot water tap in the kitchen at the same time it is fine and does not vibrate. I have a combi boiler. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
the cold water tap on the same basin has now started to vibrate and make a noise - again if you open it fully the vibration/noise stops or if you run another tap in another part of the house it stops. Please can someone help?? thanks emma

Sponsored Links
they are bristan 1901 - not quarter turn. I am on mains pressure with combi boiler. thx

the taps are fine for your system so why.... are the tap head gear assemblies tight enough inside? not loose at all? is the circlip on properley?

apologies your tap won't have a circlip if it's a rising spindle type with a gland nut. as seco said maybe the jmumper plate is loose or the washer assembly part if it's a fixed jumper tap which most are nowdays? try taking the headgear part out and tightening all the parts up....

the taps are only 6 months old - can't both be faulty?? I have checked the washers etc. After about a half a turn, the tap starts groaning and then this then develops into a banging noise with the tap vibrating and water spluttering out. It stops immediately if I turn the tap off or fully open it.

it's weird. sometimes new taps do have loose parts inside (cnot fully 100% tightened). other than that maybe a buit of grit in the tap body? leave it on full blast for about 10 seconds to try and flush it out??

its been happening with the hot tap for a few weeks (usually only in the late evening - weirdly), but yesterday the cold tap started (not every time) and the hot tap has started doing it most of the time now. how would I know if I have got air in the mains? thx

wouldn't say air that amount of time.
have you phoned bristan as they are only 6 months old.

checked washers again and althought they were in perfectly good order, thought I may as well try some new washers, so replaced them with slightly thicker ones and guess what - no noise or vibration! You would think Bristan would fit their taps with decent washers?! Oh well, here's hoping problem is solved - thanks for your help guys...emma

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back