non-opening timber framed double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if someone in this forum could advise me about timber framed double glazing. All of the large windows in my house apart from one, are non-openers. However, I believe that all windows are made the same but are either made as opening windows or non-opening windows at the time of manufacture; dependant on whatever the customer's wishes are.As you can imagine, this makes the house very hot during the summer.

I want to be able to open all of the windows and would be grateful for any information about how to do this. I suspect that the windows are screwed somewhere behind the beading but cannot be sure about it. I do not want to start removing pieces of wood in the hope that I might get lucky and find the screws.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Sponsored Links
If they are relatively modern construction where the frames that hold the glass have their outer part fitting over the main frame woodword (looking from the outside), then you will have to take the glass out because the what would be the opening part, is nailed to the fixed part. Getting them apart will be interesting, I laid the frames on blocks on the bench, then used a block of wood and a mallet to belt the inner frame bit. The are located by plastic spacers which are a snug fit.

Can you post a picture of the frames?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back