Non-Serious Questions - Mini Aircraft Hangar!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

New here and have some serious OCD. No, really.

My son is into flying model aircraft. He recently finished building his latest machine, a four-engined scale model of a lancaster bomber. It looks great, but now I want my garage back as I'm pretty sure it wasn't built to be used as an aircraft hangar. It would be nice to actually use it for some of my projects for a change!

The monstrous aircraft is to be hangared in his bedroom and yep, you guessed it, suspended from the ceiling. I've got a couple of hooks that can be screwed to the ceiling joists using normal screws, but one of them requires about an 11mm hole, about 30mm deep (the hook has 30mm thread on it). I can't access the joists to see how thick they are, but I climbed up into the eaves and the trusses are 35mm so I'd assume the same for the ceiling joists (the loft was boarded out by the previous owner but it was a shoddy job with painted roof members carpeted around so I don't think they'll have reinforced the joists).

Now I realise I could simply buy a hook requiring a smaller hole, but but but I'm very curious and my OCD won't allow me to avoid using the one I already have:

How in the heck would I make sure I drilled the hole bang in the middle and square with the joist? I'd obviously have to find the edges of the joist. Any tips?

I'm an office worker in the building trade and know that there's a 1/4 rule for removed material when fixing to joists. But, removed material implies that it's for the full depth of the timber drilled. I'm only going about half way through at the most, so will this negate the fact that I'm between 1/4 and 1/3 the width of the timber?

Now the last question... Let's say the plane weighs 15kg (I have no idea if it does or not), and I wanted to keep hanging more of them until the fixing pulled out of the joist/broke the joist etc. How many do you reckon I'd get to?

I know this seems really weird, but go with me on it!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You locate the joist either by measurement from loft hatch, or other starting point. Or use a joist detector which detects the nails used to fit the ceiling the joist. Or use a tiny drill bit and keep making trial holes till you hit it.

The hook does seem like way too large for the purpose. A normal cup hook would do, with the plasterboard drilled to let the full thread go into the timber.

A well fitted hook will bent straight before pulling out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back