non-standard opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hallway that is 1040mm wide and want to instal a pair of glazed doors to separate off a porch area between the new doors and front door.

I can make up a door casing which brings the gap to 990. Allowing for 5mm all around and between doors that results in each door being 487mm. Of course this seems to fall awkward for existing common sizes such as 533 and 457. I thought of adding some width with a door pairer and / or cutting to size but the lippings seem too thin to allow this. Does anybody know a supplier of solid glazed doors that I could trim to width or have any other idea that might work and avoid the bespoke route?

Sponsored Links
You could always make your frame slightly narrower to a accommodate 2 x 457 wide doors (internal opening 923mm with a standard 3mm gap) and use the architraves to cover the gap (assuming no rebate edge strips on the doors). If you add a rebate set that will take you nearer to the 990mm. Only problem is that rebate sets are really designed for solid wood and fire door blank type doors, so there is a limited range of timbers and finishes.

Or how about a 456 and a 533 (opening width 998mm allowing for 3 x 3mm gaps)?

Thanks for input J&K. We did consider different sized doors but it would look odd. I will play around with narrowing the opening and using architraves. Might be able to make that work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back