Help with oversize door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am looking to replace my current upvc front door and sidelights with a new door.

The aperture is 150cm wide 208cm high.

I would like to have a large single door to fit this aperture.

My local joiner hasn't any experience of a door this large so I am looking for some advice to take back to him.

The door will be constructed from oak (the rails and stiles will be around 15 cm in width) with a large single piece pane of glass, the glass needs to be double glazed and toughened.

The frame for the door will also be made of oak.

I'm guessing the door is going to be extremely heavy due to the size and double glazing.

Am I right in saying that a traditional set of butt hinges will not be up to supporting the weight of the door securely?

I have been looking into pivot hinges as I think these will be more suitable for carrying the large weight but I'm not finding that much info

I have found these which may be suitable? (There doesn't seem to be any mention of maximum weight)

http://www.fass.co.uk/shop/category/hinges-and-pivots

Does anybody have any experience of mounting a similar size / weight door and could offer me any advice or pointers?

Pete

Sponsored Links
Ive swung a few big door's around 96",I reckon your door is too big ,the height isnt too bad but the width is over the top and will throw up a lot of problem's with hinges, size of frame that will have to be very hefty for that weight of door,the thickness of the door will have to be increased probably 2.1/2"-3",,and there could be health and safety issues with all that weight swinging about in a wind it could chop someones hand off, just of the top of my head , I would go for double door's but I would look long and hard first and do the math's first,Is this a public or private building it sounds like a town hall.

as above plus out off proportion heavy ugly

do you have enough space for 5ftplus clearance around the whole swing off the door thats a hell off a wasted space

Last office I worked at had 3m high doors on the offices[fire door], 1m wide, 4 large 6inch hinges were used. Two at the top one centered and one at base.

Sponsored Links
Last office I worked at had 3m high doors on the offices[fire door], 1m wide, 4 large 6inch hinges were used. Two at the top one centered and one at base.

Yeh I reckon thats just about pushing at the boundaries of internal doors

Yeh I reckon thats just about pushing at the boundaries of internal doors
I have actually seen much bigger in properties in Londons Highgate area, ceiling heights were around 20' [houses were often converted to flats with the ground floor accommodating a two storey conversion.]The doors were huge, over 8' high, 3' wide, 3" thick and some even curved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back