non-stick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, this is my first post & hopefully I've placed it in the correct forum as non of the titles seem to suit.
Several years ago, when having a corner shower cabinet installed (by a known professional) the two walls were panelled with a good quality (& expensive!) wallboard & silicon sealed where they met the shower tray. Earlier this year this silicon required renewal & a good brand of the product started lifting after only a few weeks so I had bath/shower self adhesive sealing strip applied, but that too only lasted for a couple of weeks & has been replaced - with the same results. The problem appears to be that NOTHING will adhere to the wall-board, despite the shiny surface being removed where the strip was to be stuck. Can any one suggest a strip with excellent adhesive properties? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Needs a good clean with white vinegar or descaler, there will be a film of lime-scale [almost invisible if the surface is white] over it and possible soap scum.

Many thanks for your response Foxhole. I forgot to mention that before the most recent application we ran small abrasive (dermal?) style wheel where the sealing strip would be placed to clean off the shiny surface, so surely that process would have removed any scum?

Sponsored Links
Abrasive wheel would soon be coated with scum and polish it in.

'Ahh, good point - thank you once again.
Got a local plumber coming around tomorrow, can't ask my mate to spend any more time on the problem.

Update: Another re-seal job done using better quality adhesives but the plumber reports water has got into the bottom of the wallboards :cry: so I reckon this is it's last chance, otherwise I'm looking at a major re-furb. :(
Thanks again for your advice though.

Good quality shower panels are inpervious to water. Had an off cut of mine in garden for a year and was unaffected by the weather .

I think it was my fault, having agreed to my mate removing a strip of the shiny surface in order to provide a 'key' for the adhesive, the water repellent qualities of that part of the board has been lost. It would have been ok if the adhesive had done it's job, but of course it didn't - a classic case of learning the hard way!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back