Shower Tray & Tile Removal - Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Advise please on the safe removal of a shower tray.

I've spotted a hairline crack in our stone resin tray, I can try a patch kit but a new tray is the only long term solution. I'm happy enough with installing a new tray. The problem is getting the old one out.

The existing tray is on legs which can be wound down. The tray was installed with a strip of classi seal behind it, which has been tiled over, and down onto the top of the tray (there is a grout/silicon line between the tile and the tray). Tiles are fixed to a proper tile backer board that was sealed as per the manufacture recommendations. A cement based adhesive was used, per the retailer recommendation due to the size and weight of the tiles. I have spare tiles and expect I'll need to remove the bottom row to make a proper job of getting the tray out and fitting the new.

My major worry is if the tiles come away from the backer board OK? I am doubting they will given the adhesive. I'm not expecting them to pop off with a chisel/flat knife like they do with a bucket of ready mixed adhesive. I'm worried the backer board will come off with the tile and need to be replaced. Or worse going in too heavy handed I'll crack tiles in the rows above. Advise please..................

I'll currently leaning towards taking a grinder to the tiles between the bottom 2 rows to completely separate them - cutting through the backer as well and then trying to remove that in sections.

Sponsored Links
No reason you should not be able to remove tiles from board if careful will take time to clean up board for replacement tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back