Shower tray!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys,

Just to set the background I had a leak in the kitchen directly underneath the shower tray upstairs. I pulled down 2 sections of plasterboard to see what was going on.

Straight away I noticed that the waste trap for the shower tray was fouling on a joist and it wasn't flush with the tray. I think the previous installer has got around this by absolutely caking it with silicone which has worked until now but it has given way.

I purchased a new waste trap which is now fitted flush with the tray and is clear of the joist - happy days!

Leak checks done and the water is draining away efficiently with no leaks.

This morning I had a shower (still not plastered the kitchen below thank god)and when coming into a kitchen I have noticed a slight drip but it's running down the edge of the wall. I have figured out that the leak is coming from the edge of the shower tray where it meets the tiled wall. How unlucky to have another leak but at least I hadn't replastered the kitchen already!

The problem is the shower tray is sealed on the edges with the sealux style edging which actually has a backing plate behind the bottom row of tiles!

I am after advice for the best way forward to stop the leak. Do I removed the bottom row of tiles and reapply? Try and silicone seal the existing edging?

I have attached photos

Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1393.JPG
    IMG_1393.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 131
Sponsored Links
Your first difficulty is that you have a one piece tray without integral fin upstands - in your case two sides should have fins but you have a flat rim. google pics if you dont know what I mean.
In my limited experience, seals applied to shower trays or bath tubs eventually fail.
Your installation looks to be a DIY installation.

You will have to remove the seal thats now in position, and if the backing is plasterboard you might damage the p/b - it might even now be damaged by water ingress.
If the tile overlaps the seal then the bottom course of tile will also have to be removed.

You could use a larger, but probably contrasting, tile to replace the bottom course and the seal - the extended tile would sit on the rim. However you will have to deal with the enclosure frame.

A final solution would be to clean out all existing silicon and then re-silicone the seal - maybe it would work for a while, maybe not?

I have spare tiles that the previous owner has left in the attic.

How easy are tiles to remove? Am I right in saying I would only need to remove the bottom row?

Sponsored Links
My mistake.

So you are suggesting to remove the bottom row and use slightly larger tiles to but up to the shower tray?

Yes.
But if you have spares then removing the bottom row, and chopping two tiles to fill the space from the second course to the rim would work.

If there is damp behind the tiles they will peel off, but they shouldn't be too difficult to gently prise off.

And then just put a bead of silicone around to seal?

Do you think it would be a poor choice to re apply new sealux seal and restore it to its original design?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back