Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In the process of fitting a shower door onto a square raised shower tray for an alcove shower and would like some advice please.

The shower tray has been sealed with silicone on the 3 sides already. When putting the shower door jamb to the wall and resting it onto the surface of the shower tray it can't sit flush with the shower tray surface as there is a 6mm bead of silicone stopping it.

Do I:
  1. Trim and file the bottom of the jamb to accommodate the silicone bead already there?
  2. Remove the silicone at that section of the shower tray so the door jamb can then sit flush on the tray?
  3. Have a gap at the bottom of the shower door frame to accommodate the silicone bead on the sides and then.seal the gap on the outside of the door frame?

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Remove the existing silicone and clean up the surface the door will be resting on - and then send us a pic if you can! It will be a bit of a chore (silicone removers exist and are successful to some degree) but it will come back to haunt if you don't.
John :)

Thanks for the response John, please see pics of what I mean. I know I'm using a square but you get the idea of the gap.

The manufacturers instructions do say to silicone all around the tray where it meets the shower wall/tiles first which is why I did that.

When you say remove the silicone should there be anything at all where the frame meets the wall and tray? I know you seal on the outside of the frame but what about that bit?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_094336832_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_094336832_HDR.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20220508_094254739_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_094254739_HDR.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
That looks like a good install so far! I like to silicone on the inside of the frame too - otherwise water gets into the gap and stays there. Although it may not escape, there's a fair chance of things turning black after a while.
I guess the shower tray is completely level? Any gaps up the wall from the tray are usually compensated by adjustable sides of the shower door frame.
You did right to seal between the tray and the wall - absolutely essential.
Good luck with it!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back