noob querying ac adaptor replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the noob question but i think maplins are taking the p155 with the price they quoted me

i have a fibre optic star ceiling that i have mounted on a panel on the wall in my soon to born daughters nursey

the lead is not long enough by about 10" and in the past i have simply extended these but this time the cable is a round on so i dont fancy doing that (not confident enough )

i popped into maplins during my dinner break and the spotty oik behind the counter told me it would be £29.99 for an adaptor

on the back of my existing it reads
input 110/240VAC 1.0A 50/60Hz

Output 12V (i think its the dc symbol the line with 3 dashes underneath)
then 1A Max

am i right in thinking that i just need to match output amperage

the guy in maplins was trying to sell me a all singing all dancing multi plug thing

sorry if this seems a daft question but i work in a timber yard and supply and build with wood i have no experience with electrics

Kind regards
Malcolm

Sponsored Links
i have a fibre optic star ceiling that i have mounted on a panel on the wall in my soon to born daughters nursey ... the lead is not long enough by about 10" and in the past i have simply extended these but this time the cable is a round on so i dont fancy doing that (not confident enough )
Are you talking about the lead from the output of the power adaptor to the lights? If so, does it have some sort of plug on one end of it? If it does, you may well be able to get hold of a cheap 'plug-in' extension for it.

Kind Regards, John

i have a fibre optic star ceiling that i have mounted on a panel on the wall in my soon to born daughters nursey ... the lead is not long enough by about 10" and in the past i have simply extended these but this time the cable is a round on so i dont fancy doing that (not confident enough )
Are you talking about the lead from the output of the power adaptor to the lights? If so, does it have some sort of plug on one end of it? If it does, you may well be able to get hold of a cheap 'plug-in' extension for it.

Kind Regards, John

yes sorry my initital post was not complete its the adaptor from the mains to the control box

i added some pictures if it helps explain what i mean

IMG_20140527_190317_zps31f48901.jpg

IMG_20140527_190339_zps3f7bbd3d.jpg

Yes you just need to match
- voltage
- current (or greater)
- polarity (see the graphic to the left of the CE mark)
- plug.

Beware that there are a few similar-looking plugs that are actually slightly different sizes, both in internal and external diameters; in particular the 2.1mm vs 2.5mm internal diameter is hard to distinguish. The wrong one can seem to fit but not work reliably. Do you have a micrometer or calipers? Otherwise it's not easy to measure the internal diameter.

No doubt ebay could supply something cheaper than Maplin. What they were offering probably is the best that they stock though.

Or get an extension. Again I'd start with ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-1mm-Socket-to-DC-Power-Extension-Lead-1-5m-/380303096311

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
As John said above, you should be able to get an extension but there is no standard size for the plug. You will need to measure (preferably with a micrometer) the diameter of the plug, and the diameter of the pin which goes into the plug then find an extension to match. As an example this one is 2.1mm internal and 5.5mm external http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-DC-J...for-CCTV-/291155711375?_trksid=p2054897.l5662

Edit - Beaten again :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
As John said above, you should be able to get an extension but there is no standard size for the plug. You will need to measure (preferably with a micrometer) the diameter of the plug, and the diameter of the pin which goes into the plug then find an extension to match. As an example this one is 2.1mm internal and 5.5mm external http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5m-DC-J...-/291155711375?_trksid=p2054897.l5662[/QUOTE]

thank you

i am looking at an extension on amazon now

yes sorry my initital post was not complete its the adaptor from the mains to the control box ... i added some pictures if it helps explain what i mean
In that case, as I said, you ought to be able to get hold of a plug-in extension. Your problem is that those sort of plugs come in all sorts of sizes (both internal and external diameters vary). Although eBay would undoubtedly be a cheaper source, it may be easier/safer to take your plug into a shop (like Maplins) to make sure you're getting the right thing - or you could be brave, do some measuring and try your luck on eBay!

Kind Regards, John
Edit: I think we all beat each other this time :)

51xjLzjznHL._SX425_.jpg
[/url]

Regulated power supply adaptor.
Model: Delta ADP-12EB.
Input: 200-240V, 0.5A, 50-60Hz.
DC Output: 12V 1.0A, Max.12W.
UK plug. Round tip connector, 5.5 mm / 2.1mm

assuming the plug size is correct (off to find my caliper) this is suitable ???

Yes (assuming it is 'reputable' and not a fake!!) - although, as has been said, the plug size is the $64,000 question, and the inner diameter can be very difficult to measure, even with a caliper (you probably need to find something which just fits into the hole, and then measure that).

I take it that the lead of this one is long enough? :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes (assuming it is 'reputable' and not a fake!!) - although, as has been said, the plug size is the $64,000 question, and the inner diameter can be very difficult to measure, even with a caliper (you probably need to find something which just fits into the hole, and then measure that).

I take it that the lead of this one is long enough? :)

Kind Regards, John
yes the lead is long enough
think for the cost i'll take a punt

thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back