Norfolk reed (water reed) under tiles in 30s house...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We're looking at buying a 1930s semi. One thing I've spotted up in the attic is what I'm told is Norfolk reed (water reed), tightly packed between the rafters. I'm told this is a traditional insulation method.

Regardless, I'm curious about the potential fire risk here. There's fireplace in the living room downstairs, that obviously vents up through the chimney that passes up and out through this thatching in the loft.

Oviously we will commission a full survey before proceeding but I'd be interested in any comments those in the know might care to offer. For example, is it easy to retro-apply fire retardent to this stuff? Or could it be boarded over with fire-proof board of some kind? Or is it better removed? What kind of cost might we be looking at here? Also, is this common for 1930s semis?

Harry.

Sponsored Links
Right, I've got some photos of this reed now so I thought I'd bump this post up one last time to see if any of you guys have an opinion on this stuff. Is it supposed to be insulation? Is it a safety issue? I will be consulting now with a thatcher but would still really appreciate any views from the chaps here. Anyway, here are those pix:

If it's been there since teh 30's then it's not proved much of a risk ;)

It looks to have been laid over the rafters I cant imagine why though. A friend of ours has a house that is full of Norfolk reed along with open fires.

If it's been there since teh 30's then it's not proved much of a risk ;)

Well, yeah. But risk is relative here, I guess. Just because it *hasn't* caught fire yet doesn't mean it isn't risky - just that perhaps various owners have gotten away with it for 80 years (if, indeed, it's been there for the full 80 years - but who knows?).

Perhaps if I had a sample of 100 similar houses I could compare fire stats with newer builds, or 1930s builds that lacked this material, for an objective analysis. But I don't, sadly.

Interesting that you'd have no idea why it's there, though. That, to me, is the biggest mystery -- what it might be for? It doesn't look thick enough to me to be insulation. So what else could it be? A natural underlining for tiles? Do tiles need such an underlining? My knowledge of roofing and materials is, sadly, literally zilch.

Sponsored Links
Personally I doubt it's any greater risk than sarking felt.(Bitumen)

I can only think that it was to protect the roof space from wind driven dust etc in much the same way as roofers felt without the added benifit of water proofing.

My friends house dates from the 1600's ;)

Hmm... since I've received these pictues it's led me down new avenues of Googling. Seems like this reed stuff might be a method of 'fleaking' - water read laid over rafters instead of timber battens, apparently. But it seems this is usually done before thatching.

It is extremely unlikely that this house was ever thatched - it's just a typical suburban semi in a street full of the same, all of which are tiled. So any experts have any idea why someone might once have put fleaking under tiles?

I've not heard the term "fleaking" before it will be interesting to see if anyone else has. I've just noticed between each pair of rafters there are some timbers that run from the eves to the ridge, not seen that before either.

Wheres the really old boys when you need them.

Personally I doubt it's any greater risk than sarking felt.(Bitumen)

I can only think that it was to protect the roof space from wind driven dust etc in much the same way as roofers felt without the added benifit of water proofing.

Righto - thanks. So, essentially, it could be a natural/cheap/whatever alternative to felt, but not waterproof. I think it's fair to say the house doesn't necessarily suggest that it's regularly flooded during rain, so the tiles must be doing their job, regardless of this stuff underneath.

Would you worry about? In other words, would you be keen to strip it all out or just leave it be?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back