Attic leak/ condensation.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m a home owner and have lived in my property some ten years.

About a year ago, water started coming through my attic bedroom ceiling. Roofer came and said I needed new flashing round chimney. He’s a nice guy and have used him all the time I’ve been here. But it’s not fixed the leak. It’s a bit hard getting hold of him but he’s been back twice and apparently redone some of flashing and also patched up some cracks in bricks. No joy. Generally hard getting anyone to come round / everyone too busy where I live.

Anyway, the attic space is not the easiest to get in. I’m a pretty tiny woman and can only just fit up there. I’ve been up when ceiling was wet and although there’s signs of previous leaks (probably when flashing was gone) the only bit I can see damp on is the wood on central roof beam. It’s an 1890s terrace and the beam in picture is going into chimney breast.

The damp in bedroom is just below this so presume it’s dripping.

Is this possible condensation? Or possible water coming from inside chimney beading through?

I’ve no real fires. A gas fire in living room (which I never use) and the cooker in kitchen in old fireplace. There is an extractor fan in this. With a vent outside the kitchen window. But an electrician once told me it went up chimney. But not sure tbh.

Asking for advice as it’s driving me nuts, not to mention costing a lot getting roofers back, if it’s possibly not a roofing issue. Plus none of the roofers can fit in the attic space! Could water be coming down the chimney? And if it’s the cooker vent, why only start doing this after ten years?

Thank you in advance.
Jaclyn.

Attachments

• IMG_4585.jpeg
    IMG_4585.jpeg
    292.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4584.jpeg
    IMG_4584.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
I should also add. The worse the leak has been (from bedroom view, was running down walls) was after “storm Ada” and I’d been away for a few days. So hadn’t been using cooker hood extractor… just considering this as roofer can’t seem to source issue.

Any pictures from outside ?
You mention cooker extractor .. what about bathroom extractor ?
How much insulation is in place ?

Not much to see, mines the house with the open dormer windows, chimney is to the right.

Bathroom not an issue, it’s under the attic bedroom on the middle floor. But good vent straight to outside, and I live on my own and shower at the gym or work most of the time. Unlikely cause.

The plot thickens since I first posted this. I messaged my neighbours on the off chance they were having a leak too. They sent me the picture below and said they had this after a storm, but it dried up within an hour so they’ve ignored it. They have not actually gone up in the attic and checked anything, nor do they seem to have even been feeling the patches to check if they are damp. Just been assuming they are stains.

Even if it dry on their side now, is it a possibility this is coming through from their house somehow. I know these houses all share floor and roof joists.

Their initial reaction has been to be a bit difficult and And that their dad said it’s not an issue if it’s dried up and only happened in a storm… I disagree obviously . Lived here, 11 years, a windy part of Yorkshire, many storms are never had water coming through my ceiling. I don’t think what they’ve sent me in that picture looks okay?

Thank you.
e84dfeea-a6b1-4ae4-9f4f-f8e5dfdb5bbf.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    346.4 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Oops. Sorry insulation. None, tbh the attic hole was originally built by last owners. Built for aesthetics, I’ve never put insulation on there because it would be difficult to get the rolls up without taking part of the ceiling down. There’s lining membrane under the tiles which is in good nick, but otherwise nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back