Neighbour obligations/ legality chimney maintenance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I like some advice on chimney maintenance and legalities regarding shared chimney stack.

I live in a ~1890s stone terrace and have, over the last year or so, had water coming in my attic bedroom ceiling on chimney breast wall, I've had:

Flashing redone and sealed
Tiles replaced
Flaunch redone
Cap tiles re mortared
Remortaring on chimney.
Dormer roof redone (not next to chimney but was old and thought it might be contributing to extra moisture in attic).

The stack is shared with the neighbours and neither of us use the original fireplaces anymore.

Their side of the chimney and roof generally needs work. It's obvious from the ground and both roofers I've had over the last year have said their side needs work.

I've had chat with them about it, and when I first contacted them in December about it they had had a lot of water through room in a storm but said other wise it's dried out and not come back. the water was obviously more related to their dormer. They now just keep saying it's dry our side/ not out problem.

I did have a chat with the neighbour and the last the roofer at the same time and the roofer was saying old stone chimneys can soak up water and it can seep through. But neighbours now insisting their side inside is dry.. they did let both me and the roofer go in and have a look, and although dry there is staining on what would be the mirror image of my leak on chimney breast.

A. Does anyone have experience of joint chimneys and whether their eroded flashing and mortar could be affecting my side more than theirs.
B. If they keep being difficult what do I do about it? Legally speaking.

I'm at my wits end, I've spent a fortune on my roof/ dehumidifiers etc. I've lived here 12 years and not had issues before so don't think it's anything I'm doing in the house (shower downstairs, well ventilated to outside/ have stopped using my kitchen extractor fan for months and leave back door open just in case it what that and it's made no difference).

Sponsored Links
Because the neighbour won’t even pay for their flashing and motar to be repaired. And I’m presuming a stack removal would cost more than that….

Chimney to right of scaffolding which is on my house atm.

Attachments

• IMG_4959.jpeg
    IMG_4959.jpeg
    375.7 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Also this is my chimney side and it’s. Best pic I have atm.

Attachments

• IMG_4960.jpeg
    IMG_4960.jpeg
    257.9 KB · Views: 35
Legally speaking, it will be far cheaper and less hassle just to repair their bit of chimney and flashing when you have scaffolding etc. up to do yours. Morally and legally, they should pay, but if they won't, pragmatically it may be best just to get it done and move on.

Legally speaking, it will be far cheaper and less hassle just to repair their bit of chimney and flashing when you have scaffolding etc. up to do yours. Morally and legally, they should pay, but if they won't, pragmatically it may be best just to get it done and move on.
It’s just cost me £2k. Plus £2.5k for the dormer. Got several quotes and all were the same. Paying for theirs isn’t an option for me… they aren’t short of money either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back