Chimney wall in attic - water leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Water leaking down into bedroom wall/ceiling. On investigation it looks like water is leeching through chimney wall lower down just above floor level. There is some water coming in from the top part of the chimney wall as well.
Had a roofer up on the roof and it seems the chimney crown has cracks around the pots and render at side of chimney has some cracks. Bell cast and lead flashing look good and so does the slate roof - maybe one or two slates needed. Its going to take a few weeks before I can get this repaired. In the meantime would it do any harm to paint the chimney wall in the attic with Thompsons water seal to try and prevent the water from leeching through the bricks lower down? Or can anyone recommend anything else? We live in a semi detached McTaggert Mickle house. The chimney is in the middle of the roof and has about 8 pots on it but none of the chimneys are in use. At the moment I am managing to contain the problem by bunging absorbent cloths on the attic floor against the chimney walls to soak up the moisture. Are their better materials nowadays to seal chimneys? I dont mind paying a bit more to get the job done correctly. I have a feeling the roofer will just pour concrete over the top to seal the chimney crown and then render the sides with a mortar mix.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back