Leaking roof around chimneys PHOTOS

If it was me and the area you're living in, I would strip it down completey and re-do it correctly

http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1405.html[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to know from the roofers about that point I raised about driving rain on the lead flashing around the chimney. I still can't see how a slates width of lead would stop rain running over the edge of the lead.

I must watch the episode of 'my house is falling down' on 4OD as I caught a brief glimpse of them testing a slate roof with horizontal driving rain. It leaked like a sieve.

Sponsored Links
There is little difference between lead half the width of a slate and half a slate....

I'm sure there is some sort of check/turn up of the lead out of sight under the slates.
The secret gutter system is used in situations like this where extreme weather would easily lift cover flashings exposing soakers etc.

On this ocassion I think it's generally shoddy and should be flashed correctly with a properly formed secret gutter and slated with a bit more thought.

The flashing should stop water running down the sides of he chimney, A lead tray stops it going down through the brickwork. (looks like a tray has not been fitted during construction.

I'm with datarebal on this one, I tend to feel the problem lies with the secret gutter or lack of one and would be inclined to lift a slate or two to investigate.

It's running down the stud wall, on the chimney. Where else could it be coming from? :confused:

Sponsored Links
It's running down the stud wall, on the chimney. Where else could it be coming from? :confused:

Seen similiar many times, secret gutter doesn't work and water enters there and then moves back towards the wall between the lead and felt. I've seen water travel several feet from it's original leak before appearing on the inside of a building :!:

If it was me and the area you're living in, I would strip it down completey and re-do it correctly

http://www.leadsheetassociation.org.uk/html/1405.html[/QUOTE]

I'd be interested to know from the roofers about that point I raised about driving rain on the lead flashing around the chimney. I still can't see how a slates width of lead would stop rain running over the edge of the lead.

I must watch the episode of 'my house is falling down' on 4OD as I caught a brief glimpse of them testing a slate roof with horizontal driving rain. It leaked like a sieve.
Without seeing the top flashing, I think the whole flashing need to be re-design specially at the top because of their weather area, I don't like the idea of rain collecting in the normal top chimney flashing, it's best to re-route the rain away from it, normal flashing works okay depending on your weather condition

chimney-water-02.jpg

I didn't get all the photo's either. I agree that the white stuff is irrelevant - it's merely lead patina.

The front apron appears to be lead burned (welded) to the "side flashings," not necessary, and suspect if that is the case. As has been noted its also badly installed and dressed.

The "side flashings" have been installed as one piece gutters instead of using soakers. The welts in the gutters are causing the slates to cock-up.

If this is some kind of manufactured slate then great care must be taken when whoever is on the roof. Roof ladder(s) are always req.

The back gutter is still suspect - roof leaks enter in one place and show-up in different places. Dont assume, investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back