North facing basement window well decorating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have experience with basement window Wells?. I have had a good look on the Internet but most sites are in the USA and their climate is totally different.

I have a North facing window well and the walls of it are painted in white masonry paint. Very often green algae will grow on it making it look a mess.

Does anyone have any suggestions for decorating the well. I was thinking of 3 things.
1.Some kind of suitable algae resistant paint
2 . some kind of mirrored/shiny surface to increase the light downstairs
3. This might be best solution. They sell in USA window well liners that are scenes/brickwork printed on some kind of vinyl that you stick to the walls. Does anyone have experience of these and know where they sell them in the UK?

I would like to put some very low maintenance potted plants down there. Don't want them to grow much, must survive from rain water and must survive in low sun light and damp conditions.
Anyone know of a suitable plant?

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back