Northern Rock customers, don't panic!

anobium said:
Just heard on the news that the government have agreed to back all the savings of Northern Rock customers...

Now there's a guarantee that's just for show! It will cost them little, since at all UK banks, depositors are already covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. I don't suppose there are many depositors with over £35,000 (the limit of the scheme) and who will therefore need the benefit of the additional guarantee.

Sponsored Links
John. Many people inherit parents homes worth £400K - but don't want the hassle of owning it so sell it and put it in the building society.

joe-90 said:
He only buys them when they go bust.
That's a bit unfair joe - he actually seems to be buying high and selling low.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
anobium said:
Just heard on the news that the government have agreed to back all the savings of Northern Rock customers...

Now there's a guarantee that's just for show! It will cost them little, since at all UK banks, depositors are already covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme. I don't suppose there are many depositors with over £35,000 (the limit of the scheme) and who will therefore need the benefit of the additional guarantee.

it may be just for show, but theyre doing it to try to stem the ridiculous panic

I haven't taken mine out yet :eek: but I'm still looking for another internet operated, monthly-interest, no-penalties account paying 6.3% or better.

Apparently the BoE is charging NR interest @ 7%.

I see no reason why they shouldn't pay you the same. :D

It is all about differentials.
£35k at 6.3% gross opposed with 5.25% 37th issue NS&I
gross £367... net as per your tax rate. (net £147 or £293). My pocket money for a week !
That isn't a huge amount given the different security levels and the unknowns to us investors at this turbulent time... Anything could happen.

The FSA guarantee 1st £2k 100% - a little ominous - I wonder how long to recieve 90% of the remaining investment up to £33k In the event of disaster ?
BTW 10% of £33k is £3,300 More than I'd be prepared to pay for the odd 1% extra interest.
Someone just said:
It is a brave, or perhaps foolhardy, man who stands his ground when the crowd is running for the exit.

To rework Kipling, if you can keep your head when all around are losing theirs, consider it possible they know something you don't.

How many knew of Northern Crock's meeting with 'our' BOE 6 wks ago?

I have also read that the BOE's help is not unlimited £31.5B - not confirmed.

Prudence has brought me this far unscathed - why change?

:(

anobium said:
Just heard on the news that the government have agreed to back all the savings of Northern Rock customers.
Same news item says that Alliance and Leicester are now struggling.
Looks like the safest place now for savings is Northern Rock.!
My guess is the Government maybe panicking because Labour policies aren't working (?)

People have less money to spend because of high taxes then borrow more instead.

no, I don't think that's it.

The problem has arisen because of US deficit financing (living on borrowed money) which has been going on for 20 years and more. The US government has been doing it, relying on loans from other countries, and the US population has been doing it, borrowing money against the value (sorry - price) of their houses which have been going up due to asset price inflation and cheap loans.

As you can't go on for ever, borrowing more and more money and constantly spending more than you earn, a US-sourced financial crash has long been expected, but no-one knew when it would happen.

The "sub-prime loans" market (lending money to people who won't pay it back :rolleyes: at interest rates they can't afford :rolleyes: using as security homes which have been over-valued :rolleyes: and which now can't be sold because no-one will buy them at their inflated prices :rolleyes: and no new lender will lend money against them :rolleyes: ) is just a small straw, and there is a lot more balanced on the camel's back.

Today's problem is that no-one knows quite how big the sub-prime problem is, or who's going to be damaged by it. Some US and other funds can be expected to go bust, and some of the US and international banks or investors who foolishly went for a small extra return on a bad debt, will go down with them. There is a hazard in bailing out banks and investors who do foolish things, as it removes the risk and encourages then to do it again. It also punishes the taxpayer, investor or nation who was more sensible but ends up paying for someone else's folly.

As no-one knows where the debts lie, wholesale credit has pretty well dried up, and none of the banks will lend to each other just in case.

Governments and other financial authorities are trying to prop up the banking system to prevent panic which will lead to it grinding to a halt and making things worse.

Probably in a few months time, when the sub-primes defaults have worked their way through, and we see who's still standing, today's crisis will go away.

It does not yet seem to have triggered the US deficit crash which, when it comes, will be a lot worse.

Agree John, something got to give, the bubble got to burst sometime, I got a feeling we could be heading for a recession :cry:

It's a case of "you can run but cannot hide" I still getting junk mails regarding borrowing money, £10,000, £15,000, and even £25,000 with difference lenders, it's so easy to get into debt, I believe today people are only saving 3p in a £ and yet 20 years ago it was a lot more than that, people are not prepare to tighten their belt but only borrow more money instead

How ridiculous is this getting now.
As I said earlier Northern Rock savers are now more secure than any other bank.
How many more of the financial institutions could the government bail out if a few others decided to ask for help?
Thank god I don't have that worry, I invested my pittance in the breweries.
Never fails, drown your sorrows when things are bad, and celebrate when they pick up.

Sponsored Links
Back