Norton 2007 Antivirus

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My new laptop came with Norton 2007 antivirus etc, free for 3 months, can anyone tell me the best way to protect my laptop after this period. I suppose the best way would be to purchase Norton and just carry on with that.

I've heard alot about so-called "free" pc protection which you can download and install, but my thinking is, if its free is it any good?

So, my question is, whats the best "free" pc protection to download off the net?

Because its free will it give the same level of protection as say Norton?

I would be really grateful for any feedback and/or any web sites that you can download from.

Many Thanks

Mick...

Sponsored Links
micktheframer said:
can anyone tell me the best way to protect my laptop after this period.
Ditch NAV, install AVG - they do a free edition and a paid edition.

Also search the forum. You will find references to plenty of other free products.

AVG free will give you all you need. I've used nothing else for around 5 years now & it updates automatically every day; paying for anti-virus software these days is a total rip off!

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
AVG free will give you all you need.
I disagree - the free edition is simply a good compromise, but it has bugs that the paid edition doesn't.

I've used nothing else for around 5 years now & it updates automatically every day
They all update themselves; it isn't very impressive.

paying for anti-virus software these days is a total rip off!
I disagree - some paid ones have some useful features, one of which is technical support. For a private individual this isn't necessarily valuable, but for a business, time is money.

For a private individual this isn't necessarily valuable, but for a business, time is money.
& there you have it; if you running a home PC, you won't need anything else unless you visit some truly dodgy websites; but I wouldn't disagree with you for business use.

I also used to run Zone alarm until it totally screwed up when I changed to 64 bit; apparently a known problem on their website but the patch didn't work in my case & I haven’t had the time to risk trying again.

Check with the stores.
Major pc stores had a half price deal on Norton 2007.
Had the same problem, my free trial came to an end, was about to upload on line then saw this deal at half the price.

I stopped using Norton products when the program blocked my PC from using the internet completely, maybe it thought I was a threat to the WWW. :eek: :eek:

I now use Mcafee Security Suite, which I got from a certain internet auction site for £10 delivered. Genuine Disk, New & Unused, full retail product. It downloads its updates every day with no problems, filters my e-mails & watches my WiFi network for any problems. The only problem I had was when I reinstalled my PC, I had forgot the e-mail I used and had to use a new one, and had to start a whole new year of updates. :evil: Also works on my lappy, but had to use a different e-mail address to activate it for downloads. ;) ;)

Salem.

Many thanks to all for replying.

I'll take everything you said on board and give it due but fair consideration

Cheers

Mick

Sponsored Links
Back