Not amazing finish, what can I do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got a plasterer in recommended by a friend. He wasn't the most expensive but also not cheap (3.5k for about 7-8 days work on a one bed with his workmate, South London). I went to have a look today and he said they'd finished the upstairs. I'm not sure what to expect as this is my first house but there are some small bobbles on the surface and trowel marks visible around light fittings. Should that be there? Is it normal that I get to point it out and he fixes it at the end, like a 'snag list'? If I accept the work then can I do anything to make a better surface before decorating? Apologies if this belongs in the decorating forum..

Thanks
Rachel

Sponsored Links
The odd snot on the surface and some finishing work at edges isn't unusual, post some pictures up that'll give a better idea

Hi all, this is from upstairs - some 'snot' and some trowel marks. Most of the plastering looks okay though.

Attachments

• 20231024_124136.jpg
    20231024_124136.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20231024_124209.jpg
    20231024_124209.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 20231024_124352.jpg
    20231024_124352.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20231024_124416.jpg
    20231024_124416.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20231024_124509.jpg
    20231024_124509.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
The snots of plater will come off easily when you sand the walls prior to painting.
Around light cables, same, just needs a bit of sanding.
The trowel mark shouldn't be there, but very easily rectified with filler.
Ask them to fix the trowel mark.
The rest will be done by the decorator.

As a decorator, I could deal with those snots pretty quickly.

Image number 2 is a bit pants though. I hope it is not indicative of the rest of the work.

As a London based decorator, I would probably charge a day or two to sand the walls back- up to £400. Possibly slightly less given that I would allow a min of half a day regardless of the quality of plasterer.

In short, the decorating costs will be higher if the plastering is not up to scratch.

As a decorator, I could deal with those snots pretty quickly.

Image number 2 is a bit pants though. I hope it is not indicative of the rest of the work.

As a London based decorator, I would probably charge a day or two to sand the walls back- up to £400. Possibly slightly less given that I would allow a min of half a day regardless of the quality of plasterer.

In short, the decorating costs will be higher if the plastering is not up to scratch.
Thanks - I asked the plasterer if there was anything to be done about those bits but he seemed to assume I needed to sand them down and it was normal. Not very happy and wouldn’t have him again but he’s finished now and if the downstairs has a similar level of mistakes to upstairs when I inspect it tomorrow I think I’ll just pay up and rectify it myself as might do a better sanding job than him! How would you advise I do the sanding pls?

Thanks - I asked the plasterer if there was anything to be done about those bits but he seemed to assume I needed to sand them down and it was normal. Not very happy and wouldn’t have him again but he’s finished now and if the downstairs has a similar level of mistakes to upstairs when I inspect it tomorrow I think I’ll just pay up and rectify it myself as might do a better sanding job than him! How would you advise I do the sanding pls?
See post #13 on this thread

Thanks - so conclusion is sanding over plastering is a good idea? What exactly is meant by a 3m scratch pad, the round pads on an orbital sander? Any idea about grit?

Thanks - so conclusion is sanding over plastering is a good idea? What exactly is meant by a 3m scratch pad, the round pads on an orbital sander? Any idea about grit?
3M is the brand of the scratch pads.
Don't use any machine unless you have a large bucket of filler.

3M is the brand of the scratch pads.
Don't use any machine unless you have a large bucket of filler.

I routinely use my electric sanders (connected to a dust extractor) to sand new plaster.

The house I am working in has recently be replastered. The quality of finish isn't great. There are quite a few high spots so I am using my 180 Festool Rotex random orbital sander and a smaller detail sander for the edges. Both machines are using 80g paper.

The OP, if they want to stay relatively dust free, could purchase a hand sanding block that connects to a (bagged rather than cyclonic) vacuum cleaner.

The above link is not a recommendation of the retailer, others may be cheaper. I do have two different Mirka Handy sanders but I use the existing hose for my Festool dust extractors. I tend to use them on Sundays when I don't want my customer's neighbours to complain about the noise. All they will hear is the noise of my dust extractor (read: vacuum cleaner). The only downside is the cost of the Abranet abrasives. On plaster I drop down to 120 grit, the 80 grit leaves too many scratch marks.

I can vouch for the Mirka, great sander, when connected to hoover, only need a light sand, as the abranet can be quite severe if you are heavy handed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back