Plastering disaster - what kind of finish can I expect?

I`ll bet you don`t live in E. Sussex - no posters seem to :LOL: We can help you out if you do - we`re not busy because we`re not good - it`s just the good old E.Sx. economy :rolleyes:

Hi there - no, I don't live in East Sussex but thanks for the offer :D

Turns out to be very difficult to get someone in at short notice (where I live) :(

Sponsored Links
bad plastering is easy to sort out, "BUT" have you ever considered what living with a badly fitted kitchen is going to feel like? it will depress you everytime you walk in the kitchen, i wouldent trust them to fit my kitchen after shabby work like that, do you really want to give your hard earned money to someone whos threatened you? well as i say its your call and your money i just hope as you say that they may do a better job with the kitchen than the plastering

Interestingly I had a (retired) plasterer round this evening to give his verdict (keep the two short walls and make the best of it, and replaster the two long walls). The man has first hand experience with this company's kitchens, and he says they are very good (he has one himself). He didn't say the same about the plastering...

So there is hope. The only problem is how to get the plastering done in time. This is proving a nightmare.

You could check out where some of the lads on here are based and PM them or you could tell us where you are so someone on here in your area can sort it out for you ;)

May I pick your brains once more?

I have had another plastering crew in today. They seemed to know what they are doing. They applied pva (?) first, then went away for 90 minutes or so to let it dry, and then applied two coats (quite thin, I believe) of skim plaster to two of my kitchen walls. The plaster is now beginning to dry, and I have noticed many fine hairline cracks appearing in a section of the outer wall/garage wall; see pictures. It looks like the plaster is drying out too fast maybe? I called the guy, and he said he is going to come on Sunday to take a look.

Is this something that can be fixed with some flexible filler type stuff? I really don't want this replastered again (I have decorator booked in for Tuesday, kitchen going in on Wednesday). The cracks are very fine but there are very many of them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

View media item 62543 View media item 62545 View media item 62544

Sponsored Links
your not having much luck are you? when he comes back sunday tell him you want it sorted, you are right the skim dried out to quick it seems like his pva dident skin up or seal the walls, how much did the second so called plasterer charge you? youve already paid out £450, you should have done what roy said tell us where u live and see if we can sort you out a good spread

Update: Plasterer no.2 came back on Sunday and spent 2.5h working on a few areas of concern. There was an area of tiny hairline cracks (even though they had used a lot of PVA - I watched them apply it). He painted the area with a mist coat and lightly sanded it back after drying. He repeated this 3 or 4 times. The same on a couple of other areas.

The result is a perfectly smooth finish, with no cracks or unevenness to be seen, perfectly blended in with the rest of the work. I am certainly happy with the result. These guys are a lot better than plastering crew no.1. OK, maybe a really good plasterer would have got it spot on, but I reckon using this outfit was a good compromise between quality of work and the short deadline for the work.

The decorator is painting the kitchen today, and it is beginning to look really good. I haven't discussed payment for plastering crew no.1 with the kitchen company yet (I don't intend to pay up), so wish me luck for that. The kitchen is being fitted from tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable advice; it has been extremely helpful in what has been a fairly stressful period for me.

There was an area of tiny hairline cracks (even though they had used a lot of PVA - I watched them apply it).
yes but the pva dident skin up to seal the wall they dident leave it long enough or maybe used a weak mixture or both maybe, your right not to pay the first plasterer, you want to show the bill to him from the second plasterer good luck with the kitchen

personally I would get the Kitchen company around
Tell them that as they think the standard of works so far is fine
that you are cancelling the order. I would then go somewhere else

The guy that plastered the walls was not a Plasterer

and he certainly wouldnt be plastering on any of my clients works

I'm not a plasterer but have employed the same skilled, time-served plasterer to skim most of the walls in my house. I have not had to pick up a single piece of sandpaper, before decorating.

Cheers
Richard

personally I would get the Kitchen company around
Tell them that as they think the standard of works so far is fine
that you are cancelling the order. I would then go somewhere else

The guy that plastered the walls was not a Plasterer

and he certainly wouldnt be plastering on any of my clients works

I'm not a plasterer but have employed the same skilled, time-served plasterer to skim most of the walls in my house. I have not had to pick up a single piece of sandpaper, before decorating.

Cheers
Richard

Exactly
You shouldnt have to sand anything if its plastered properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back