In search of the perfect finish..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Even a good finish will do.
Each time I plaster a wall I get a bit better so I am happy with that.
I did a slightly bigger wall than I am used to yesterday so I didn't do a two mix multi finish. I put some bonding on the rough areas and did one skim to see how I got on. I had the confidence to leave it a bit longer this time so I resisted the temptation to mess about with it straight away.

The finish wasn't bad but there where still some slightly uneven parts and places where the plaster was fairly thin on the original wall (i think the wall was maybe slightly proud here) although there were a couple of low spots to. The majority of the wall was good and flat and smooth.

So you think it would be easier for me (I am a novice) to do 2 mixes, the second being a fresh mix, I am thinking it may be easier to get a flatter finish?

I am starting to get more confident to press a bit harder after the plaster has been on the wall a while and have less of an angle with the trowel but the side effect is it's a bit thinner in places.
I am still working the plaster a fair bit to get a finish on a fairly small wall and using polyfilla to mask the imperfections

:oops:

Any poiners?

Thanks in advance kind people!

Sponsored Links
You are going about it the right way - the only way forward is practice, an a bit of honest self evaluation. Don't expect the work to be perfect, but expect it to be better each time.

I would say two mixes is best, if the first coat has picked up slightly, then there is less chance on you troweling the second coat back to nothing.

You will guage how hard to press it as you do more - it looks like you are well on the road to sussing it out. The harder teh finish is getting, the harder you press, and the greater angle you can use. When you are giving it the last trowel. you should not be pulling much off it, you are trying to close it in rather than take anything off.

That's encouraging, there is not much coming off when closing in, tiny amount must stop wiping it on my sleeve!

More practice it is then. I really look forward to plastering so no problem there
:D

That's encouraging, there is not much coming off when closing in, tiny amount must stop wiping it on my sleeve!

More practice it is then. I really look forward to plastering so no problem there
:D

Just remember -

Practice makes permanent -

perfect practice makes perfect!!!!:cool:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back