Tips on scheduling plastering

Sponsored Links
Hi TM..Did you sort yourself out some stilts? I am upgrading to Marshalltown Skywalkers I have been searching around sites to find the cheapest and have found a site called Belmore tools.com that sell them for £229+vat. There is another site in America called Drywall Zone inc that sell stilts cheap but I think by the time I have paid for shipping and taxes they dont work out so cheap!! But anyone who wants to try the "Dura " stilts have a look on the axminster tools site. These are the cheapest you will find. And dont be frightened of using them , I am generally bad on my feet but got used to my stilts straight away. I am plastering rooms over 9' high at the moment and have had to extend my stilts up 3 notches and they are still very stable. I must add I have got a young lad with me whom I am teaching so he makes life a lot easier. And another thing if you work on your own and have or are getting quite a bit of work it is worth thinking about taking a "nipper" on and teaching him what you know while he does the cleaning up and makes life a bit easier for you...

I'd break me neck if i went on the stilts Roy. :LOL: I've never even seen anybody around here using them. Did it take you long to get used to them?

Roughcaster.

Hi RC surprisingly enough no not long at all, I have been using them for a few years now,and when I got them I put them on in the house and knocked the bleedin' lamp -shade off with my head :oops: You have to make sure that the rooms or area that you are working in has nothing on the floor as the last place you are looking is down :LOL: It helps having the nipper as everything has to go up a level so you dont have to bend down. I always work out of a yellow bucket or a medium or large gorrilla tub using a bucket trowel to load my hawk so this helps...

Sponsored Links
Hi RC surprisingly enough no not long at all, I have been using them for a few years now,and when I got them I put them on in the house and knocked the bleedin' lamp -shade off with my head :oops: You have to make sure that the rooms or area that you are working in has nothing on the floor as the last place you are looking is down :LOL: It helps having the nipper as everything has to go up a level so you dont have to bend down. I always work out of a yellow bucket or a medium or large gorrilla tub using a bucket trowel to load my hawk so this helps...

You could join the circus anytime now then Roy: :LOL: but as i said, i've never seen them, apart from on Youtube videos.
I remember years ago to plaster ceilings,,, you had hop ups, 5 gallon drums, cross battens, and then scaffold planks, with the board and stand in the middle. Some of the planks were spaced out, one pace apart, so if you got it wrong, you ended up missing the plank, nearly breaking your leg.

Roughcaster.

I remember years ago to plaster ceilings,,, you had hop ups, 5 gallon drums, cross battens, and then scaffold planks, with the board and stand in the middle. Some of the planks were spaced out, one pace apart, so if you got it wrong, you ended up missing the plank, nearly breaking your leg.

Roughcaster.[/quote]

Yes been there RC used to carry a load of "Drums" and a stack of planks around in the van. And if you remember when you laid them out in a room it was the right height for ceilings aswell :LOL:

Blimey, I’d dismissed stilts on the basis they were really for young & fit super spreads. I seriously twisted an ankle a couple of years ago falling off a plank hop up on some blocks; I will never, ever use blocks again. I was half way though a ceiling & had to finish it off in total agony & it hurt so much, I honestly though I’d broken something; but the job came first :rolleyes: . My thinking has been that my now slower reactions would probably result in a broken neck if I fell of some bloody stilts; but maybe not! :LOL:

Hi Roy,

Still not got any stilts yet, they'll be a luxury item when i buy them as i won't use them every day and at that price well..couple of other things i need first BUT i AM going to get some as soon as the right job comes in.

i had decided on some MT 2's when i do go for it BUT Steve the spreader has put me off a bit, he has some but says that they make his legs ache much more than his previous stilts so now i'm confused again, maybe i'll just try some duras.

can see myself maybe getting a nipper at some point too should work get consistently busy enough, still finding my feet a bit having only been at it for 12 months also don't think 12 months knowledge/experience is enough for e to think i can pass much on, feel a bit of a fraud i think, also think that having a nipper on the payrole could make me less competitive price wise for the small jobs.

anyway, seems your thread has been hijacked Newbie, hope you got everything you needed from it? :D

anyway, seems your thread has been hijacked Newbie, hope you got everything you needed from it? :D

Yep, got everything I needed - tho think I'm a long way off stilts!

Not a problem - always good to have popular threads too! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back