not another bloody downlight question!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
yep, afraid so!!

found some D25 downlights i like, but they require a transofrmer as they are 12 volt.

the transformer is rated at 20 - 60vA load.

if i fit 20 watt lamp, will one transformer be ok for both lights or is it beter to fit one each??

many thanks

:D

Sponsored Links
2 per transformer.
Could take 3 but shortens lifespan

Lifespan of what (watt?)

The lamps? - unlikely they'll die whenever they want to.

The transformer? - well, watts are watts and VAs are VAs.
Most trannys will shut down if they are overloaded, I never heard that they would suffer from infant mortality if they were run at their rated output..??

The ones I have used haven't lasted too long when near to their upper limit.
Maybe just me thats found that. (probably the cheap rubbish I get given!)

Sponsored Links
The ones I have used haven't lasted too long when near to their upper limit.
Maybe just me thats found that. (probably the cheap rubbish I get given!)

Its noticable how many more I've changed that are near their power limit compared to those which are not.
Classic example a friend has 6 20W lamps around her summer house and were running on 2 60VA transformers. Both were replaced several times a period of 2 years before a chance comment to me when one failed again. I replaced it with 2 transformers and rewired so that each has 2 lamps. 2 1/2 years on no more failures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back