Not another one.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, a sump replacement for the third vehicle this year:
Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon (4.2 litres!)
Fiat Punto
Citroen Berlingo van, with the DV6 motor.
This one looks straight forward enough, but the flexy exhaust is very close, and the cat likewise - so I hope I don't have to shift them.

The thing is, if engines weren't so oil tight these days, the sumps wouldn't rust through!
John :)

Sponsored Links
It’s always the exposed sumps that suffer from it - at least engine undertrays protect the sump from stone chips that take the paint off, exposing the steel to the elements.

Dead right.....but this one actually has an undertray!
I thought initially it had been biffed but no sign of that.
I’ll post back when I’ve sorted it.
John

Sponsored Links
Is this becoming something of a trend?

In all the many vehicles owned I've never had to do that, even when undertaking serious off-roading with Land Rovers .. without bash plates.

I've been fitting steel sump pans for years really.......all have been rusted bar one which had had a bash and displaced the oil pump pickup strainer.
Only one aluminium one - Renault I think, cracked for the same reason.
Happily, the sump pans are available from motor factors rather than just the main stealers so the demand must be there.

Pleased to say, a good outcome with minimal problems!
New sump pan was £46, and came with a tube of RTV sealant - no gasket there.
After draining the oil away,
The sump wouldn't drop down enough with the exhaust flexible coupling in place, so grinding through the clamp bolt freed that one.
The sump is held by 16 6mm bolts with an 8mm flanged head, plus two studs for location. One stud had to come out to allow the sump to be slid across - the stud had a male torx end so I guess that was intentional.
Old sump off, gasket goo cleared away, check the oil strainer for any debris (none), so new sump goo'ed up and replaced.
In with 5 litres of 5W-30 C3 plus a filter, a new bolt on the exhaust clamp and job done.
So - anyone concerned about this job on a DV6 engine, nowt to fret about!
Have a good evening, everyone
P.S. Now commencing on a timing belt replacement on a Fiat 500 - I guess it's a 1.2 engine but I haven't checked yet. It was due at 72k but the car is now on 83k so I'll see how it has fared.
J.

You'd love it round our way. We're off a road with speed bumps, which are the standard ones going the width of the road. The amount of cars I've heard and seen smack their sump on the road is unreal, all because they go over one particular bump too fast. There are gorge marks in the tarmac! Tried to get a Google Streetview image but it doesn't show very well.

My Gazelle has a very slow leak from the drain plug, which I've not yet sorted. The plugs are hard to get hold of new and I've just not bothered fitting a new copper washer yet. It at least means I can rub the sump over with an oily rag! I have changed the oil pump on a former Rootes car and the sumps are sealed with two separate cork gaskets plus the manual application of a sealant at either end, bit fiddly..

Last edited:
Hell no, these vehicles belong to people in my village who aren’t as fortunate as me......the Fiat owner is an elderly female who’s skint, the Citroen owners lost their son (32) to motor neurone disease a year or so back.
Obviously what I do doesn’t change anything but life’s been good to me so I’m happy to give something back, if you get my drift.
I don’t live near the sea (Hexham area) so salt isn’t an issue, but farm and animal mess makes things corrode big time.
John

Fiat timing belt done, not too bad a job but it still took me 4 hours!
The water pump has no gasket or O ring, and is just silicones to the block. That took some shifting!
No timing marks on the cam pulley either, so plenty of dabs of white paint sorted that.
John

Sponsored Links
Back