not enough neutral bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Electrician said he can manage this. I'll ask him how to deal with this and post it. Thank you all!

Sponsored Links
Are you aware that your new shower circuit will require RCD protection?

Thats an old wylex board, personally i would look at updating that

Sponsored Links
How many fuseways are in the fuseboard? Even the old Wylex boards had an equal number of neutrals to correspond with the fuseways...

If you have a spare fuseway, you should have a spare neutral really...

A new CU would be a better option, and not too expensive in the scheme of things when considering adding an additional consumer unit to accomodate a shower.

Indeed it is, and I totally agree with you - but don't you think it's a pity that "they don't make them like wot they used to" - a lovely solid bit of brass with two screws per conductor (which used to be very standard for Wylex).

...I also can't help but wonder where that very fat black-sheathed conductor connected to the right-hand two spaces in the neutral block is going (and ditto the second red of which we have a glance at the right of the piccie)!

As has been said, time for an electrician, I reckon.

Kind Regards, John.

How many fuseways are in the fuseboard? Even the old Wylex boards had an equal number of neutrals to correspond with the fuseways...

If you have a spare fuseway, you should have a spare neutral really...

A new CU would be a better option, and not too expensive in the scheme of things when considering adding an additional consumer unit to accomodate a shower.

Only 2 fuseways are in use. But I don't know why there are no available neutral screws. I consider to check 'dead' line and replace it. A new CU is the best, I also consider it... Thank you very much!

...I also can't help but wonder where that very fat black-sheathed conductor connected to the right-hand two spaces in the neutral block is going (and ditto the second red of which we have a glance at the right of the piccie)!

As has been said, time for an electrician, I reckon.

Kind Regards, John.

I also wonder it. Red line might be for electric oven which is not in use now, and it's disconnected. Fairly old flat, and newly moved into her, so it's confusing so far. Thank you!

Please, for the safety of you and yours, use a competant electrician.
I agree totally, but don't you think it's a great pity that you have to use that phrase ("a competant electrician")?

When one talks of 'an electrician' (or 'a plumber', 'a plasterer', 'a doctor', 'a lawyer', 'an accountant' etc. etc.) the concept of 'competant' should really be implicit in that title, so the need (which I agree exists) to talk of 'a competant electrician' is a sad indictment of the industry.

Kind Regards, John

A set of Henley blocks and a seperate "shower CU" with RCD is another option if you don't want to go to the hassle of a totally new CU..
It's not that much less of a hassle but does mean no rewiring of lighting etc to get rid of shared neutrals etc..

Yeah... it's the best option... but hm.. Thank you very much!

No hm.. about it, that big fat cable in it looks like a heavy load already adding a shower will most likely exceed the rating of its main switch

Wheres Rf Lighting :?:

Ah, because of its cost Haha.. you can definitely say that black big fat cable is for a heavy load device, but there is totally no such a big appliance. I think it was used in the past, may be for electronic oven which is not in use and disconnected. Basically I don't use big units. Anyway, very thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back