Consumer unit neutral bar help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I've justed moved my Crabtree strarbreaker dual rcd consumer box by a couple of feet. I very carefully marked all the lives and am 100% positive that all the lives are back in the right place.

However, I think I have made a mistake in assuming that all the neutrals can go any where on te neutral bars (there are two in effect) I have simply thrown them anywhere.

I now have a problem where if I try to switch on the second lower rated RCD it keeps tripping.

I intend to move all the neutrals tomorrow so that all the neutrals for rcd 1 are on that neutral bar and then the ones for RCD 2 are on that bar.

I hope this will sort the problem???? But would love for someone to tell me I am barking up the right tree here??

Any advice gladly received....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yep you will need to have the neutrals on the corresponding sides.
The RCD is detecting an imbalance and therefore tripping.
Thats presuming everything else you have done is correct......

Thanks very much for your reply, hopefully this will sort the problem then.

Should sleep better now knowing that I should get it sorted tomorrow!

I wish i had marked the neutrals now!!!!!

Thanks...

Sponsored Links
However, I think I have made a mistake in assuming that all the neutrals can go any where on te neutral bars (there are two in effect) I have simply thrown them anywhere
The neutrals must be installed in the same order as the lives.
So must the cpcs (earth wires).
That is why the terminal bars have numbers above them.

All of the circuits require testing afterwards (and that means before reconnecting the power to any of it) to ensure no dangerous mistakes have been made - there is a huge difference between something apparently working and it being safe.

I've justed moved my Crabtree strarbreaker dual rcd consumer box by a couple of feet.
What did you do about isolating the supply when you did that?

However, I think I have made a mistake in assuming that all the neutrals can go any where on te neutral bars (there are two in effect) I have simply thrown them anywhere.
And of course you didn't even pause to think whether that depth of ignorance should in any way be a reason for you not to fiddle with things, did you?

Hell no - why should you even wonder if knowing what you're doing might be a good idea.

Hello,

I've justed moved my Crabtree strarbreaker dual rcd consumer box by a couple of feet. .

So, does that mean you had to extend the existing cables?

How did you do that?

and

Are the cables still in safe zones (eg, running horizontally or vertically to the consumer unit - or are they on the surface?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back