consumer unit number system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI i have fitted a new consumer unit for my part p assessment , my question is that the numbers at the top of the M2 DUAL RCD CU on the neutral bars and the earth bar do not match up , ive just ended up wiring it from right to left leaving 3 spaces on the earth bar for the unused unprotected ways. Is this ok ?

Sponsored Links
To be fair, that will teach you to buy the cheapest chittyest CU in the world from CEF!

Fitted one once, decided to go back (in my own time and at my own expense) and replace it with a Wylex.

In answer to your question however, the neutral's should always correspond to the outgoing ways, the earths is not quite so critical, still nice to have a system in there though, when it comes to periodics.

Sponsored Links
thats what i do now use the little cable identifier rings to remove all doubt. i found to try and keep a nice neat job following the cu neutral and earth terminals causes to much crossing of wires.

I still keep them in the right holes, it's just easier to put them back in the right holes after you test if they're numbered...

also, suffix with A and B for ends of a ring..

notice how a lot of dual split boards have the neutral bars numbered 123456 then 123456, does any body split their line numbers like that to correspond. i have just bought a Kroy that can print number combinations to suit the cu neutral bar as required

IMGP1750.jpg

;)

Either rob is very heavy handed.... or, he buys cheap penny washers :LOL:

To be fair, that will teach you to buy the cheapest chittyest CU in the world from CEF!
Fitted one once, decided to go back (in my own time and at my own expense) and replace it with a Wylex.

...which also has neutral and earth numbers which don't correspond. The earth terminal numbers are in reverse.

this split load M2 board ive done is difficult to get it looking semi-neat espacially when theres not a lot of wire to play with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back