not enough room to fit large enough rad could i double up eg 2 doubles 1 in front of the other?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Kitchen is large and cold. The only place for a rad is under a work surface.
I have a 600x1100 double rad there now. It's very old!
I thought about replacing it with a triple rad but I think i need more output than that.

There is literally no space for another rad so I thought as there is lots of depth under the worksurface I could fit more than one rad in parallel IYSWIM.
Do you think that would work? My Mrs is driving me nuts about her cold kitchen :confused:

everything is insulated as much as it could be except the floor which is concrete

Mike

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks ,
Is the old rad that you have a Type22/K2? Does it have 2 sets of internal fins?

Yes It does have two sets of fins

Rad plus a plinth heater simple answer.
Sorry forgot to mention that we already have a plinth heater Because we never use it!
It's seems warm for about 20 seconds and cools down to room temperature when you put your hand over it.
my wife wont turn it on. She reckons it just blows out cold air on her feet! it's got to be about 30yrs old and you cant get to it at all to maintain it.

I Have looked at all of the links supplied. Thanks
and I spotted some I like . The flat panel ones look very neat but the highest output on any that would fit the space was 10900 btu or 3.2kw. which to be fair might be enough considering it's fan assisted. The rad that's in place "should" be about 1.9kw so it's getting near to doubling the output .
if I really go mad there is another style that might be overkill. The Smiths caspian UV90 that outputs 22700btu or 6.6kw ! I'm not sure if my system could keep up with that though ? although it is a 46kw boiler.
there is another Smiths Caspian uv60 that is 3.6Kw though.
they are expensive but I might just have to pay it:(

Did nobody think my idea of just having two rads in parallel was sensible? (n)

thanks guys

One issue you have is that with the worktop over the radiator it's not convecting properly.

You will probably find that that rad size is more than adequate for the size of the room, but it's the installation that's causing issues.

Electric fan heaters are expensive to run.

What's the layout and size of your kitchen?

She reckons it just blows out cold air on her feet! it's got to be about 30yrs old and you cant get to it at all to maintain it.
two screws on the front, it is fitted on flexis, remove the two screws pull it forward and bleed it, same as a radiator, common to be full of shoite though, but easily flushed through, great wee things far better than rads

have you checked that the convectors are clean and that there isnt a triangle of sludge in the rad?

You aren't going to get much heat out of a convection radiator with a worktop ontop of it, regardless of the fins or type.

The specified ratings will not apply at all.

You aren't going to get much heat out of a convection radiator with a worktop ontop of it, regardless of the fins or type.

The specified ratings will not apply at all.

That's what I said

@mpooley ..... when you say the rad is under a work surface, is the work surface directly on top of it or is there adequate space where the air can circulate out and up?

Logical step is
1, has the room ever been warm enough
2 has anything been changed heating wise
3 check the radiator fins and for sludge (as I said before)
4 is it piped in 10mm, plastic or copper
5 is it piped in 15mm with balofixes on

It's a cheaper option than ripping it out and blindly fitting a new one. Surely?
Unless you got pots of money. The number of times customers have demanded a bigger radiator and not needed it. Who am I to argue them out of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back