cold rads downstairs

One other thing! Should I still have balanced the system the way I did even though it's a manifold system rather than like a circuit?

Sponsored Links
ok
I've re checked valves, lockshields etc and all are working! I've closed off all rads except one in hall and it doesn't want to feed back up the wall and back to manifolds! This return pipe from rad to manifold is clear! The rad stays cold!
joining the flow and return manifolds is a 22mm pipe with a red pressure valve on the end, this was set at 0.2 bar. It can go between 0.1 bar and 0.5 bar! From messing I now have a tiny drip coming from this red valve every 30 seconds or so! Should this be a bit higher than 0.2 bar?
The manifolds themselves are on a slight angle down from the 22mm flow and return pipes!
I shall post a pic of the red pressure valve connected between manifolds!
Thanks

GALLERY]

ok, after googling and reading up I was wondering if I've caused all this myself?
fitted onto (or near) the pump in the boiler is like a release valve which you open by undoing a cap like on a car tire! About a week ago I repressured my expansion vessel (totally different thing) and noticed this cap on the pump was loose! So I naturally tightened it! Am I right in thinking that this should have been loose in the first place?

Sponsored Links

This is an Automatic Bypass Valve. It should open progressively as the TRVs close down, so the correct flow rate is maintained through the boiler. 0.2 bar does seem a bit on the low side.

There should be an arrow on the side of the valve and this should point from the flow (hottter) manifold to the return (cooler) manifold.

Does the 22mm pipe joining the two manifolds together feel hot when all TRVs are fully open?

I now cannot see the need for the kinked plastic pipe on the right joining the two manifolds. Unless they just didn't have anything to blank off the redundant ports and this is a work around. Crude!

Can you post a pic of the valve near the pump? It sounds like an air release valve.

thanks, the red bypass valve can me manually turned up or down between 0.1 bar and 0.5!
Yes the 22mm pipe between manifolds is very hot indeed!

GALLERY]

This is what I found to be loose and a week ago I tightened it up fully! Have had all other problems ever since so I'm leaning towards air now being trapped in the system!

I have now loosened this again! There was some air come out but not a lot!

Thanks mate

thanks, the red bypass valve can me manually turned up or down between 0.1 bar and 0.5!
Yes the 22mm pipe between manifolds is very hot indeed!
Turn the bypass up to about 0.4 bar.

This is what I found to be loose and a week ago I tightened it up fully! Have had all other problems ever since so I'm leaning towards air now being trapped in the system!
Do you mean the thing with a red top? There is an air valve and a bypass within the boiler.

PS Your boiler is designed to work with a temperature differential of about 20C, so you should be balancing the rads with the same differential, not 12C. The exact temperature is not important, between 15 and 20C is OK, provided all rads and the boiler are within +/- 1C of each other.

ok, thanks mate!
It's not the red thing it's the black thing, it's like a dust cap on a tire! It seems to release air from the system! It was loose so last week I tightened it and after a bit of googling it seems it should be left loose!

I have managed to identify this valve as an Altecnic ABV and can see that the arrow pints from the 22mm pipe into the valve. This means the manifold with the ABV connected is the return; the other manifold is the flow. Consequently the copper pipe may get hot all the time.

If this is correct, the copper pipe on the extreme right should be cooler than the one next to it.

b]Can you confirm that this is correct?[/b]

They are both very hot to touch and they both lead to the boiler! The left is the flow, the right is the return! I've turned the red thing to 0.4 bar and there is now a constant dripping about every 15 seconds!

They are both very hot to touch and they both lead to the boiler! The left is the flow, the right is the return! I've turned the red thing to 0.4 bar and there is now a constant dripping about every 15 seconds!
A seal in the ABV must be leaking. :( Try winding it up and down a few times to see if it clears. If not, it means a new ABV.

If I was replacing the ABV, I would fit it to the flow manifold. You can easily tell if the valve is open or closed as the 22mm pipe linking the ABV to the return manifold will be cold when closed and get progressively hotter as the ABV opens. Makes setting the ABV that bit easier.

Thanks mate!
When my heating is on everything you can see in the pic gets very hot! Flow pipe, return pipe both manifolds, elbow joint and copper pipe between manifolds! The only things not so warm are the return microbore pipes to the top manifold!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back